Beinart v. Gordis, TONIGHT, Livestreaming
Watch the debate from your computer; plus, the many, many reviews
If you can make it to tonight’s big debate between Peter Beinart and Daniel Gordis over whether “Zionism is a failing experiment—and American Jews are hastening its decline,” co-sponsored by Tablet Magazine and the Columbia Current and located at Columbia’s Kraft Center in Morningside Heights, we’ll see you there.
If you can’t, you can watch the whole thing here as it happens.
If you want some prep, well, you should read The Crisis of Zionism. If don’t have time for that, I’ve posted a fairly complete list of reviews of this many-reviewed book, in roughly chronological order and ranked from 1 (extremely negative) to 10 (extremely positive), after the jump. To editorialize only for the merest second, the review I’d most align myself with is Gal Beckerman’s.
• Jacob Heilbrunn (8). [The National Interest]
• Jordan Chandler Hirsch (2). [Jewish Review of Books]
• Gary Rosenblatt (3). [NY Jewish Week]
• Anonymous (7). [The Economist]
• Rabbi David Wolpe (3). [Jewish Journal]
• Gal Beckerman (3)*. [Forward]
• Shaul Magid (7). [Religious Dispatches]
• Austin Branion (4) [Mondoweiss]
• Tablet editor-in-chief Alana Newhouse (3). [WP]
• Joseph Dana (7). [The National]
• Claude R. Marx (5). [Washington Times]
Did I miss any? (I’m sure I did.) Put them in the comments!