Sundown: Not Just a Poor Soldier
Paul and Le Pen, Downey stands up for Mel, and more
• A gorgeous reaction to the news of the day. [+972]
• Daniel Schechtman, a newly crowned Nobel laureate (for chemistry), has invited Gilad Shalit to join him at the ceremony in Oslo. [Jewish Chronicle]
• A profile of Gershom Baskin, the man behind the man behind the negotiations, by Tablet Magazine contributor Daniel Estrin. [PRI’s The World]
• At a film industry gathering, Robert Downey, Jr., asked everyone to forgive Mel Gibson. I hope he was booed. [JTA]
• Our art critic Robin Cembalest will be speaking this Saturday at the D.C. JCC. [D.C. JCC]
Most of the Occupy Wall Street protesters actively dislike the anti-Semities associating themselves with the movement. Repeat after me: “This asshole does not represent us.”
Daily rate: $2
Monthly rate: $18
Yearly rate: $180
WAIT, WHY DO I HAVE TO PAY TO COMMENT?
Tablet is committed to bringing you the best, smartest, most enlightening and entertaining reporting and writing on Jewish life, all free of charge. We take pride in our community of readers, and are thrilled that you choose to engage with us in a way that is both thoughtful and thought-provoking. But the Internet, for all of its wonders, poses challenges to civilized and constructive discussion, allowing vocal—and, often, anonymous—minorities to drag it down with invective (and worse). Starting today, then, we are asking people who'd like to post comments on the site to pay a nominal fee—less a paywall than a gesture of your own commitment to the cause of great conversation. All proceeds go to helping us bring you the ambitious journalism that brought you here in the first place.
I NEED TO BE HEARD! BUT I DONT WANT TO PAY.
Readers can still interact with us free of charge via Facebook, Twitter, and our other social media channels, or write to us at email@example.com. Each week, we’ll select the best letters and publish them in a new letters to the editor feature on the Scroll.
We hope this new largely symbolic measure will help us create a more pleasant and cultivated environment for all of our readers, and, as always, we thank you deeply for your support.