Sundown: The Ground Zero Anne Frank Center
Plus R.I.P. Labor, R.I.P. Weinglass, and more
• There are plans for an Anne Frank museum across the street from the Ground Zero Islamic center. What a curious life. [NY Post/Vos Iz Neias?]
• One of the Labor Party’s most prominent legislators wonders if Israel’s founding party’s days are numbered. [LAT]
• Leonard Weinglass, the attorney for the Chicago 7, Daniel Ellsberg, and other defendants associated with progressive causes, died at 77. [NYT]
• Andrew Silow-Carroll makes a fair point about the biased marketing of Miral, all considerations of the film aside. [JustASC]
• Liz and Israel: A love story. [WP]
The trailer for the Woodman’s next movie, set in Paris, just dropped.
Daily rate: $2
Monthly rate: $18
Yearly rate: $180
WAIT, WHY DO I HAVE TO PAY TO COMMENT?
Tablet is committed to bringing you the best, smartest, most enlightening and entertaining reporting and writing on Jewish life, all free of charge. We take pride in our community of readers, and are thrilled that you choose to engage with us in a way that is both thoughtful and thought-provoking. But the Internet, for all of its wonders, poses challenges to civilized and constructive discussion, allowing vocal—and, often, anonymous—minorities to drag it down with invective (and worse). Starting today, then, we are asking people who'd like to post comments on the site to pay a nominal fee—less a paywall than a gesture of your own commitment to the cause of great conversation. All proceeds go to helping us bring you the ambitious journalism that brought you here in the first place.
I NEED TO BE HEARD! BUT I DONT WANT TO PAY.
Readers can still interact with us free of charge via Facebook, Twitter, and our other social media channels, or write to us at email@example.com. Each week, we’ll select the best letters and publish them in a new letters to the editor feature on the Scroll.
We hope this new largely symbolic measure will help us create a more pleasant and cultivated environment for all of our readers, and, as always, we thank you deeply for your support.