Sundown: Gaza Shell Hits Israel
Plus Mike still wants to be liked, and more
• A mortar shell from Gaza landed in the western Negev, in Israel, injuring one man. [Haaretz]
• Michael Bloomberg continues to maybe position himself for a centrist third-party presidential run, this time with a speech on economic policy. [NYT]
• The State Department clarified that it still opposes Israeli settlement-building. [Haaretz]
• Reza Aslan proposes a Palestinian declaration of statehood, if only to dare President Obama when it comes to the U.N. vote. [Daily Beast]
• An interview with Walt “Clyde” Frazier on the occasion of the reissue of his book, co-written by Ira Berkow. Go buy it! [NYMag.com]
• Somehow, the NHL’s Florida Panthers screwed up their yarmulke giveaway. [Deadspin]
The International Jewish Sports Hall of Fame inducted seven members, none of which I have heard of. But hey, here is one of them, Mike Sigel, dominating the felt:
Daily rate: $2
Monthly rate: $18
Yearly rate: $180
Tablet is committed to bringing you the best, smartest, most enlightening and entertaining reporting and writing on Jewish life, all free of charge. We take pride in our community of readers, and are thrilled that you choose to engage with us in a way that is both thoughtful and thought-provoking. But the Internet, for all of its wonders, poses challenges to civilized and constructive discussion, allowing vocal—and, often, anonymous—minorities to drag it down with invective (and worse). Starting today, then, we are asking people who'd like to post comments on the site to pay a nominal fee—less a paywall than a gesture of your own commitment to the cause of great conversation. All proceeds go to helping us bring you the ambitious journalism that brought you here in the first place.
Readers can still interact with us free of charge via Facebook, Twitter, and our other social media channels, or write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Each week, we’ll select the best letters and publish them in a new letters to the editor feature on the Scroll.