Sundown: Cantor Announces for Team Bibi
Plus talk borders, not settlements, and more
• Soon-to-be House Majority Leader Eric Cantor told Prime Minister Netanyahu that he would basically unquestioningly side with him against the president of his own country. [Capital J]
• A children’s treasury of people condemning Glenn Beck. [JTA]
• Why the fruitful conversation to have is not one about settlements but one about borders. [Goldblog]
• Holy cow did a lot of people die in Eastern Europe in the 1930s and ‘40s! (And not only Jews. But a lot of Jews.) [NYO]
• The Other Israel Film Festival opens tonight in New York. [Other Israel]
• Margarita Korol on what you missed if you weren’t in NOLA at the beginning of this week. [Jewcy]
You’ll either think this is funny or you won’t. I think it’s really, really funny.
Daily rate: $2
Monthly rate: $18
Yearly rate: $180
WAIT, WHY DO I HAVE TO PAY TO COMMENT?
Tablet is committed to bringing you the best, smartest, most enlightening and entertaining reporting and writing on Jewish life, all free of charge. We take pride in our community of readers, and are thrilled that you choose to engage with us in a way that is both thoughtful and thought-provoking. But the Internet, for all of its wonders, poses challenges to civilized and constructive discussion, allowing vocal—and, often, anonymous—minorities to drag it down with invective (and worse). Starting today, then, we are asking people who'd like to post comments on the site to pay a nominal fee—less a paywall than a gesture of your own commitment to the cause of great conversation. All proceeds go to helping us bring you the ambitious journalism that brought you here in the first place.
I NEED TO BE HEARD! BUT I DONT WANT TO PAY.
Readers can still interact with us free of charge via Facebook, Twitter, and our other social media channels, or write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Each week, we’ll select the best letters and publish them in a new letters to the editor feature on the Scroll.
We hope this new largely symbolic measure will help us create a more pleasant and cultivated environment for all of our readers, and, as always, we thank you deeply for your support.