Sundown: A Tribute to the Hizzoner
Plus Hagel gets mixed reviews on performance at hearing
• One of the most memorable portraits of Ed Koch comes in the form of a book review by Arthur Schlesinger Jr. in the New York Review of Books about Koch’s book “Mayor.” [NYRB]
• David Sanger looks at Chuck Hagel’s testimony before the Senate Arms Committee ahead of the vote on his nomination for secretary of defense and notes how Hagel struggled with questions about Iran. [NYT]
• The Jerusalem Post looks into the evidence that Iran’s space monkey launch was a hoax. [JPost]
• Jonathan Safran Foer has been named by President Obama to serve on the United States Holocaust Memorial Council.
• New York Magazine takes a smart look at the end of the NBC show 30 Rock. [NYM]
Actor Jesse Heiman, an unlikely pick to make out with Bar Refaeli
Daily rate: $2
Monthly rate: $18
Yearly rate: $180
WAIT, WHY DO I HAVE TO PAY TO COMMENT?
Tablet is committed to bringing you the best, smartest, most enlightening and entertaining reporting and writing on Jewish life, all free of charge. We take pride in our community of readers, and are thrilled that you choose to engage with us in a way that is both thoughtful and thought-provoking. But the Internet, for all of its wonders, poses challenges to civilized and constructive discussion, allowing vocal—and, often, anonymous—minorities to drag it down with invective (and worse). Starting today, then, we are asking people who'd like to post comments on the site to pay a nominal fee—less a paywall than a gesture of your own commitment to the cause of great conversation. All proceeds go to helping us bring you the ambitious journalism that brought you here in the first place.
I NEED TO BE HEARD! BUT I DONT WANT TO PAY.
Readers can still interact with us free of charge via Facebook, Twitter, and our other social media channels, or write to us at email@example.com. Each week, we’ll select the best letters and publish them in a new letters to the editor feature on the Scroll.
We hope this new largely symbolic measure will help us create a more pleasant and cultivated environment for all of our readers, and, as always, we thank you deeply for your support.