Sundown: Gun Control Plan Emerging
Plus Massachusetts rabbi considering Senate run
• Following meetings with various gun-rights advocacy groups, Vice President Joe Biden said that there is a “consensus” emerging on measures for greater gun safety. [WSJ]
• Rabbi Jonah Pesner, a senior vice-president with the Union for Reform Judaism, is considering a run for the Senate seat vacated by Secretary of State nominee John Kerry. Pesner would run as a Democrat. [JTA]
• Surprise, surprise: Steven Spielberg’s film Lincoln led the way with 12 Academy Award nominations, including Best Picture. Daniel Day-Lewis, official man-crush of The Scroll, has been nominated for Best Actor. [NPR]
• Three Austrians were sentenced to jail terms of up to nine years on charges of glorifying Nazism. [NYT]
• Jewcy columnist extraordinaire ‘The BallaBuster’ ponders the upside of turning 30. [Jewcy]
The country wants a reasonable $500 billion for Israel’s years in Sinai
Daily rate: $2
Monthly rate: $18
Yearly rate: $180
Tablet is committed to bringing you the best, smartest, most enlightening and entertaining reporting and writing on Jewish life, all free of charge. We take pride in our community of readers, and are thrilled that you choose to engage with us in a way that is both thoughtful and thought-provoking. But the Internet, for all of its wonders, poses challenges to civilized and constructive discussion, allowing vocal—and, often, anonymous—minorities to drag it down with invective (and worse). Starting today, then, we are asking people who'd like to post comments on the site to pay a nominal fee—less a paywall than a gesture of your own commitment to the cause of great conversation. All proceeds go to helping us bring you the ambitious journalism that brought you here in the first place.
Readers can still interact with us free of charge via Facebook, Twitter, and our other social media channels, or write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Each week, we’ll select the best letters and publish them in a new letters to the editor feature on the Scroll.