Who Is Sam Bacile?

Conflicting reports about filmmaker who allegedly made anti-Muslim film

The identity of Sam Bacile, reportedly the creator of anti-Muslim film that caused a deadly firestorm Libya last night, remains a mystery. In reports earlier today, this is how Bacile was described:

Bacile, a California real estate developer in his fifties who identifies himself as an Israeli Jew, said he believes the movie will help his native land by exposing Islam’s flaws to the world. ”

“Islam is a cancer, period,” he repeatedly said in a solemn, accented tone.

Not so fast. According to a Times of Israel report, this may not be true.

The officials, speaking on condition of anonymity, said they had not heard of Sam Bacile and there was no record of him being a citizen.

This claim was later reinforced by Jeffrey Goldberg at the Atlantic, who interviewed Steve Klein, who was a consultant on Bacile’s film. Klein, who (despite the name) is not Jewish, offered this:

He said the man who identified himself as Bacile asked him to help make the anti-Muhammad film. When I asked him to describe Bacile, he said: “I don’t know that much about him. I met him, I spoke to him for an hour. He’s not Israeli, no. I can tell you this for sure, the State of Israel is not involved, Terry Jones (the radical Christian Quran-burning pastor) is not involved. His name is a pseudonym. All these Middle Eastern folks I work with have pseudonyms. I doubt he’s Jewish. I would suspect this is a disinformation campaign.”

What’s immediately troubling about this revelation is that reports have now been up for hours claiming that the anti-Muhammed film, which sparked a riot that left four Americans dead, was written and directed by an Israeli-Jewish filmmaker and financed to the tune of $5 million by a group of “over 100 Jewish donors.” This assertion, which no longer seems verifiable, has been widely disseminated.

As more information comes in, we’ll post it.

Israel says filmmaker behind anti-Muhammed film is not a citizen [Times of Israel]
Muhammed Film Consultant: Sam Bacile Is Not Israeli and Not a Real Name [Atlantic]

bangpound says:

This is sloppy work. Ali Abunimah’s tweet is a quote from the NY Times article linked in the same tweet. Those are not Ali Abunimah’s words. http://twitter.com/AliAbunimah/status/245835549372452864

mishamb says:

Why should should Bacile’s ethnicity make any difference? (I understand that it does, which tells us a lot.) Even if he is an Israeli, doesn’t he still have the right to free speech and to express is opinions even if those opinions are stupid and offensive? Is it okay to pillage and murder when a Jew says something offensive?

The reality of course is that people want to emphasize Bacile’s ethnicity because they want to paint this as part of some Zionist conspiracy and to excuse the violence. That Abunimah would point out Bacile’s alleged Jewish and Israeli ties in a tweet tells you everything you need to know.

Somebody, somewhere in the Arab world is writing or saying something equally offensive about Jews on an almost daily basis, and most of those people are far more prominent than this Bacile person. Does anybody die from this? Of course not. Does Abunimah tweet every time an Arab or Muslim insults Jews? Do I even need to ask?

jean -pierre katz says:

It makes a big difference to over a billion people.
This slanderer must be found. If I found him I would quietly inform on him to interested parties that would deal with him in a way I would be very pleased with.

Normally I abhor any kind of violence, but some Egyptian guy posing as an Israeli Jew and then lying about 100 Jewish donors will not get my sympathy when they deal with him.

So these billion people have a right not to be offended? That right extends to actually killing innocent people? Doesn’t that just confirm what the film is, albeit amateurishly, trying to get across? Given that ‘interested parties’ inevitably mean fundamental muslims, wouldn’t they kill him? So his death is something you “would be very pleased with” yet you “abhor any kind of violence”? Bull shit.

jean -pierre katz says:

You are right I was being hypocritical when I said I abhor any kind of violence. I normally do abhor any kind of violence, and certainly still abhor whenever innocent people, such as the American ambassador are murdered. I certainly abhor the violence that the Christian community in Egypt has had to deal with for a long time.

I never thought that they had any right to do that. But I have no sympathy with Mr. Nakoula and I think that he should be confronted and shamed for his fraudulent behavior. It’s not only his insulting a billion people, most people in the US do have the right to even hate speech (Although this particular felon has no right to the internet at all due to conditions of his parole). He was intentionally setting up innocent people to be killed. Honestly, although I am not looking forward to it, and I would never do it, if I heard that he or David Duke were attacked violently I would not abhor it. I also feel the same way when I hear someone who tortured children has been killed.

In my family, members were murdered and I have no sympathy for their murderers and hope that one of them that is under arrest is executed.

You’re equating hate speech with criticism of a nonsensical belief system? I don’t care which label you use, Christianity, Islam, Judaism, they all believe an invisible ‘man?’ created the universe, based on zero evidence. This kind of belief _ought to be_ ridiculed. That is not the same as saying someone is inferior because of the colour of their skin, or what sex they are. You say he intentionally set up innocent people. That’s a bold claim. Back it up with evidence or retract it.

I am sorry for the loss of your family members. If one of my family were murdered, I’d no doubt feel the same way. You are forgetting of course that Nakoula _didn’t_ kill those people. The people who murdered him did. Yet you don’t condemn them, you condemn him.

Islam is a savage 7th century religion based on hatred, violence and subjugation. It is a cancer on society and must be wiped from the face of the earth. It cannot co-exist with the rest of society because these violent savages do not wish to peacefully co-exist.

The only solution is to wipe these savages out.

Wrong , it is a beautiful religion which is misinterpreted by millions, same goes for Christianity. I can preach the bible in such a way that would lead people to be murderous. It’s called taking words out of context, giving new meaning to scriptures, and hiding certain scriptures so that your listeners never view them.

So instead of preaching about the age of Jesus, I would preach to them about the age of Moses, which was a lot of killing for not following the lords commandments.

But I am not that kind of person.

Age of Jesus teaches to love your enemies, the Quran parallels this as the bible says at one time (age of moses) you were to kill your family and others if they worshiped false gods and did repeated immoral acts. Quran says to do the same thing, except when you read more of the bible and the Quran, BOTH say NOT to do as was done in the past ages but to now love your enemies and pray for them. Do goodwill and give life.

holdmewhileimnaked says:

havent we had this said enough about ourselves, more or less?
    even if you believe it, it is not a helpful attitude to have. even in times of great & stupid violence, the only thing that works is to embrace the people of the same religion [or country or tribe, doesnt matter] as the violent, but who do not support the violence. we need to make sure not only that there are more of us–the non-violent–than there are of them but that being non-violent is the considerably more attractive option. one of the saddest things about the current millennium is that, between the second world war & the end of both the determined civil rights & peace movements, the ability to do that has been lost. it needs to be refound if the world is to continue.

no more teams! no more lip service! neither of things help create a sustainable world, they only create more problems. whether one does or does not want to live in a world made up of inclusivity, it’s the only way to live in the world.

Pam Green says:

Isn’t it ironic that the news media immediately reported that Israeli and American Jews were responsible for this offensive film? And yet the media is not being criticized for ‘politicizing’ this tragedy! Romney is being eviscerated for jumping the gun to politicize the situation but the media (which is helping to foment anti-Romney sentiment) is guilty of exactly what it accuses Romney of doing! The hypocrisy, and the blatant favoritism of the media for Obama, are just appalling.

Other sources have confirmed the creator of this anti-muslim film to be a Zionist Jew.
I cannot believe this Jewish man cost the lives of the people at the U.S. embassy! Looks like it’s high time he is arrested and all the actors fined! Most likely the movie creator is in Israel by now. That means a UN led security team must go into Israel and detain those responsible. If nessesary the U.S.A should use military force inside Israel to capture the Jews responsible for this atrocity.

Paul Brandon says:

Actually the guy’s first name is ‘Im’.

What a tragedy. As anyone who has seen the trailer for “Muslim Innocence” that’s been showing up on line, it’s so execrably bad that it’s not even possible to parody (though I’d like to see what SNL would make of it). No viewer with any sort of familiarity with English-language film or TV could take it seriously, it’s such an obvious piece of garbage on all levels: acting, writing, you name it. Though I respect the cast and crew for speaking out against the film, as one who used to work in that world and probably worked on projects just as awful, (though maybe not as malevolent) if you work for pigs, don’t be surprised by the stink. Given how stupid and transparent the film is, I can only surmise that it was intended solely for viewers with no media familiarity to innoculate them against the inflammatory and provocative imagery and language in this mess. Looks to me like a reverse double whammy by people with an interest in fomenting big trouble in the Islamic world. Beyond that, I won’t speculate. I weep for Chris Anderson and his murdered colleagues.

Most of the reporting on this seriously downplays both
the impact of what was essentially a blood libel against Jews and Israel
and the incredible willingness of the western media to spread the lies
in the first place and to perpetuate them. Even today the Sun (most read
newspaper in the UK) and many other papers and news channels are STILL
repeating the nonsense about the 100 wealthy Jews financing the film.
Fro more details see:

Pavoldoe says:

Why don’t we find the creators of the incendiary film…then find the murderers who are insulted by the stupid film, and put them in a room together to work it out.

I don’t like jerks making idiotic and intentionally offensive movies, and then hiding behind humanistic, innocent Americans for protection while screaming “free speech.” If you’re going to be offensive to other people like that, own up to it and tell it to them face to face and see what happens.

it’s sad because i can guarantee you that most of these enraged protestors haven’t even seen this crap “film”. The few that did probably didn’t understand a word of it.

I’m really suprised how big the reaction is to this one small youtube video is… I mean there are no shortage of videos online mocking islam and the prophet – why did this cause such a reaction is beyond me.

Shows how bad the mob mentality is.

we dont tolerate descriminations regarding my muslim brothers and sisters. but in reality we must sue those who created this pervert video not those innocent people. I am also a muslim. many people says that all of muslims are “terrorist” a “suicide bomber”.. if that is true are you aware why many of you are still living??? its simple as we have the same goal in life
that is to live peacefully and gain respect to our fellowmen.. hoping this will resolve immediately..

fighting for you country is something not terrorism..if you want to know who is terrorist,then its american government..they invaded Iraq,a Muslim state,Afghanistan a Muslim state and they have been targeting many other Muslim states..why haven’t a Muslim ever attacked Russia,china,Europe,Arab.India,Africa..why did they only attacked america??cause they are fighting for their freedom…so if you think fighting for your land is terrorism..then we are terrorists and proud to be…not some fucking puppets of free masons and zionists like many others

annoyed says:

putting them together is sentencing that bustard death by strungling instead of hanging. Iam sorry for those killed innocents who didn’t know what is cooking

Be a Mensch. Support Tablet.

Who Is Sam Bacile?

Conflicting reports about filmmaker who allegedly made anti-Muslim film

Kerry Links Rise of ISIS With Failed Peace Talks

By Lee Smith — Secretary of State: ‘I see a lot of heads nodding’