Aftermath from the Jonah Lehrer Story

After Tablet report, writer resigns from New Yorker and publisher halts sales of his book, Imagine

(Flickr)

Early this afternoon, we published a story by Michael C. Moynihan on Jonah Lehrer’s book Imagine, which as Moynihan discovered, featured fabricated Bob Dylan quotes. Lehrer, shortly after being hired as a staff writer by The New Yorker in June, almost immediately became embroiled in a scandal in which it was revealed that he had recycled quotes and paragraphs from his previous work. The acts of self-plagiarism brought him public opprobrium, but Lehrer was allowed to continue his work at The New Yorker.

But a few hours after Tablet’s report was published, Lehrer resigned from his post at The New Yorker, saying:

“The lies are over now. I understand the gravity of my position. I want to apologize to everyone I have let down, especially my editors and readers. I also owe a sincere apology to Mr. Moynihan. I will do my best to correct the record and ensure that my misquotations and mistakes are fixed. I have resigned my position as staff writer at The New Yorker.”

New Yorker editor David Remnick said:

“This is a terrifically sad situation, but, in the end, what is most important is the integrity of what we publish and what we stand for.”

Additionally, Barnes & Noble, Inc. as well as Lehrer’s publisher, Houghton Mifflin Harcourt , are halting the shipments of physical copies of Imagine and pulling the e-book off the market.

Related: Jonah Lehrer’s Deceptions

Q & A: Michael C. Moynihan, The Guy Who Uncovered Jonah Lehrer’s Fabrication Problem [The Observer]
Jonah Lehrer Resigns from The New Yorker After Making Up Dylan Quotes for His Book [NYT]
Author Jonah Lehrer Fabricated Dylan Quotes for Book ‘Imagine’ [WSJ]

As an editor I dread publishing material that a writer plagiarized or lifted from someone else. I guess while I dread the editing process of fact checking claims by an author in hindsight its worth it.

Jacob says:

I would love for Tablet Ed to explain why Moynihan’s piece is fit to print on Tablet.
Seems more like something Gawker would run with than Tablets “magazine of Jewish news, ideas, and culture.” I dont even see his (Moynihans) name on the ”

About Us” us page.

About Us” us page.

Jacob says:

About Us” us page.

Jacob says:

About Us” us page.

Bob Hardin says:

If you have to ask why Tablet published the expose of Johan Lehrer you should be communicating with some shrill insular blog more to your liking. The better question is can Lehrer rehabilitate his recently-bright career? One can feel sorry for him and his wife (Sarah L. Liebowitz) regarding his ruinous decisions, but far more, feel sorry for us if we lose a brilliant translator of the life of the mind. I’d like to see Tablet follow with a
survey of qualified observers as to what his future may hold. #

Be a Mensch. Support Tablet.

Aftermath from the Jonah Lehrer Story

The Ecstasy of Rage

By Yossi Klein Halevi — In an excerpt from ‘Memoirs of a Jewish Extremist,’ the activist remembers Meir Kahane and the JDL