Daybreak: R.I.P. Gad Beck
Plus, election day, Austria does the right thing and more in the news
• Gad Beck, an activist, member of the anti-Nazi resistance and the last known gay Jewish survivor of the Holocaust, has died a week before turning 89. [Gawker]
• It’s moving day in the neighborhood of Ulpana. [NYT]
• Three Haredi Jews, reportedly members of the Neturei Karta sect, were arrested for spray-painting anti-Semitic and anti-Zionist slogans at Yad Vashem. [Forward/JTA]
• Turkey accused Syria of shooting at a second Turkish plane. [NYT]
• Prime Minister Tayyip Erdogan said that Turkey will now treat any Syrian military units approaching its border as a threat. “Everyone should know that Turkey’s wrath is just as strong and devastating,” he said in a speech. NATO condemned Syria’s actions, but have not been asked to respond militarily. [JPost]
The Democratic primary between the troubling and David Dukes endorsed Charles Barron and Hakeem Jeffries has begun. Vote early and often! More at 10.