Sundown: Obama To Submit Gun Control Plan
Plus Jews lament their age
• President Obama announced that he will submit broad new proposals on gun control to Congress next month. [NYT]
• The Jewish faith has a median age of 36, making its membership the oldest among world faiths. Some say its bad for growth prospects, others say we’re just a fine wine. [Reuters]
• The United Nations General Assembly adopted NINE resolutions condemning Israel, including one that suggests that Israel should give the Golan Heights back to Syria, which is already making good use of the territory it has. [JTA]
• Carrol Walsh, a World War II veteran who liberated a Nazi train and inspired a reunion of its 2,500 survivors last decade, has died at age 91. [WTOP]
• Citing the difficulties of business, San Francisco’s only kosher restaurant is closing after decades of business. [Eater]
Daily rate: $2
Monthly rate: $18
Yearly rate: $180
WAIT, WHY DO I HAVE TO PAY TO COMMENT?
Tablet is committed to bringing you the best, smartest, most enlightening and entertaining reporting and writing on Jewish life, all free of charge. We take pride in our community of readers, and are thrilled that you choose to engage with us in a way that is both thoughtful and thought-provoking. But the Internet, for all of its wonders, poses challenges to civilized and constructive discussion, allowing vocal—and, often, anonymous—minorities to drag it down with invective (and worse). Starting today, then, we are asking people who'd like to post comments on the site to pay a nominal fee—less a paywall than a gesture of your own commitment to the cause of great conversation. All proceeds go to helping us bring you the ambitious journalism that brought you here in the first place.
I NEED TO BE HEARD! BUT I DONT WANT TO PAY.
Readers can still interact with us free of charge via Facebook, Twitter, and our other social media channels, or write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Each week, we’ll select the best letters and publish them in a new letters to the editor feature on the Scroll.
We hope this new largely symbolic measure will help us create a more pleasant and cultivated environment for all of our readers, and, as always, we thank you deeply for your support.