Sundown: Dior Names Post-Galliano Director
Plus fashion in Chechnya, Chabad’s anti-Facebook campaign, and more
• Belgian designer Raf Simons was named the new artistic director of Christian Dior (former director John Galliano was dismissed from the company in March 2011, after his drunken anti-Semitic outburst). [AP]
• When Chabad met Facebook. [Forward]
• An explosion hit the Egyptian pipeline that carries gas to Israel and Jordan, the 14th such blast in the last year. [Reuters]
• The first lady of Chechnya has launched a fashion line, called Chechen Lady. [Daily Beast]
• Andy Samberg does his best Blossom impression on Saturday Night Live, and Mayim Bialik approves. [Jewcy]
• A weekend in Arkansas. With white supremacists. [Gawker]
Daily rate: $2
Monthly rate: $18
Yearly rate: $180
WAIT, WHY DO I HAVE TO PAY TO COMMENT?
Tablet is committed to bringing you the best, smartest, most enlightening and entertaining reporting and writing on Jewish life, all free of charge. We take pride in our community of readers, and are thrilled that you choose to engage with us in a way that is both thoughtful and thought-provoking. But the Internet, for all of its wonders, poses challenges to civilized and constructive discussion, allowing vocal—and, often, anonymous—minorities to drag it down with invective (and worse). Starting today, then, we are asking people who'd like to post comments on the site to pay a nominal fee—less a paywall than a gesture of your own commitment to the cause of great conversation. All proceeds go to helping us bring you the ambitious journalism that brought you here in the first place.
I NEED TO BE HEARD! BUT I DONT WANT TO PAY.
Readers can still interact with us free of charge via Facebook, Twitter, and our other social media channels, or write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Each week, we’ll select the best letters and publish them in a new letters to the editor feature on the Scroll.
We hope this new largely symbolic measure will help us create a more pleasant and cultivated environment for all of our readers, and, as always, we thank you deeply for your support.