Sundown: The Centrifuges Are A-Spinnin’
Plus National Front attack in France, Kaddish for the Fogels, and more
• Former U.S. ambassador to Israel Martin Indyk thinks “conflict inevitable” among Israel, Iran, and the United States. [NYT]
• In France, a Socialist politician and his partner, a television broadcaster, were attacked by National Front supporters shouting anti-Semitic slogans. [EJPress]
• It’s the Fogels’ yahrzeit. [JTA]
• Introducing PORC, a D.C. food truck becoming a restaurant. [DCist+]
• J Street landed former Israeli Prime Minister Ehud Olmert as their keynote speaker. [JTA]
• David Simon speaks—in Baltimore! Judaism is explicitly absent, implicitly rampant. [David Klion]
The Book of Mormon Purim parody you’ve been waiting for.
Daily rate: $2
Monthly rate: $18
Yearly rate: $180
WAIT, WHY DO I HAVE TO PAY TO COMMENT?
Tablet is committed to bringing you the best, smartest, most enlightening and entertaining reporting and writing on Jewish life, all free of charge. We take pride in our community of readers, and are thrilled that you choose to engage with us in a way that is both thoughtful and thought-provoking. But the Internet, for all of its wonders, poses challenges to civilized and constructive discussion, allowing vocal—and, often, anonymous—minorities to drag it down with invective (and worse). Starting today, then, we are asking people who'd like to post comments on the site to pay a nominal fee—less a paywall than a gesture of your own commitment to the cause of great conversation. All proceeds go to helping us bring you the ambitious journalism that brought you here in the first place.
I NEED TO BE HEARD! BUT I DONT WANT TO PAY.
Readers can still interact with us free of charge via Facebook, Twitter, and our other social media channels, or write to us at email@example.com. Each week, we’ll select the best letters and publish them in a new letters to the editor feature on the Scroll.
We hope this new largely symbolic measure will help us create a more pleasant and cultivated environment for all of our readers, and, as always, we thank you deeply for your support.