Sundown: ‘Our Putin’
Plus Jews slowly heading for the GOP? and more
• Ari Shavit on Foreign Minister Avigdor Lieberman. [Haaretz]
• Shmuel Rosner argues that President Obama could receive less than 70 percent of the Jewish vote. [Rosner’s Domain]
• Syria’s Muslim Brotherhood is fully on the anti-Assad bandwagon. Maybe Hezbollah will climb aboard next? (Probably not.) [JPost]
• Robert F. Worth on Egypt’s Muslim Brotherhood. [NYT Magazine]
• Zvika Krieger finds evidence that Hamas is willing to reform. [Atlantic Is Peace Possible?]
• The (Jewish) policeman who arrested Mel Gibson for drunk driving will be able to sue his supervisors, who he claimed subjected him to discrimination and tried to get him to remove Gibson’s anti-Semitic tirade from his statement. [JTA]
Happy new Bruce single day!
Daily rate: $2
Monthly rate: $18
Yearly rate: $180
WAIT, WHY DO I HAVE TO PAY TO COMMENT?
Tablet is committed to bringing you the best, smartest, most enlightening and entertaining reporting and writing on Jewish life, all free of charge. We take pride in our community of readers, and are thrilled that you choose to engage with us in a way that is both thoughtful and thought-provoking. But the Internet, for all of its wonders, poses challenges to civilized and constructive discussion, allowing vocal—and, often, anonymous—minorities to drag it down with invective (and worse). Starting today, then, we are asking people who'd like to post comments on the site to pay a nominal fee—less a paywall than a gesture of your own commitment to the cause of great conversation. All proceeds go to helping us bring you the ambitious journalism that brought you here in the first place.
I NEED TO BE HEARD! BUT I DONT WANT TO PAY.
Readers can still interact with us free of charge via Facebook, Twitter, and our other social media channels, or write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Each week, we’ll select the best letters and publish them in a new letters to the editor feature on the Scroll.
We hope this new largely symbolic measure will help us create a more pleasant and cultivated environment for all of our readers, and, as always, we thank you deeply for your support.