Sundown: GQ votes for Cantor
Plus, a break from Tebowing, Shalit joins Facebook, MVP Braun, and more
• GQ Magazine named House Majority Leader Eric Cantor the most powerful person in Washington. Congrats, dude. [GQ]
• Tebowing.com founder (and Rocky Mountain Hebrew Academy alum!) Jared Kleinstein will have some free time now that Tim Tebow and the Denver Broncos are out of the NFL playoffs. [Time]
• Gilad Shalit has joined Facebook. [JTA]
• Milwaukee Brewer Ryan Braun, currently appealing his 50-game suspension for violating drug rules, will accept the award for National League MVP this weekend. [NJ Jewish News]
• An op-ed highlights the close ties between the Center for American Progress, a Washington think tank, and the Obama administration. [NY Post]
• More thoughts on Matt Gross’ trip to Israel. [NJ Jewish News]
Daily rate: $2
Monthly rate: $18
Yearly rate: $180
WAIT, WHY DO I HAVE TO PAY TO COMMENT?
Tablet is committed to bringing you the best, smartest, most enlightening and entertaining reporting and writing on Jewish life, all free of charge. We take pride in our community of readers, and are thrilled that you choose to engage with us in a way that is both thoughtful and thought-provoking. But the Internet, for all of its wonders, poses challenges to civilized and constructive discussion, allowing vocal—and, often, anonymous—minorities to drag it down with invective (and worse). Starting today, then, we are asking people who'd like to post comments on the site to pay a nominal fee—less a paywall than a gesture of your own commitment to the cause of great conversation. All proceeds go to helping us bring you the ambitious journalism that brought you here in the first place.
I NEED TO BE HEARD! BUT I DONT WANT TO PAY.
Readers can still interact with us free of charge via Facebook, Twitter, and our other social media channels, or write to us at email@example.com. Each week, we’ll select the best letters and publish them in a new letters to the editor feature on the Scroll.
We hope this new largely symbolic measure will help us create a more pleasant and cultivated environment for all of our readers, and, as always, we thank you deeply for your support.