Sundown: Israeli Judge Concerned By New Bills
Plus Jewish rap from Drake to Jay-Z, and more
• The president of Israel’s Supreme Court publicly worried about the spate of right-wing legislation. [Haaretz/Forward]
• “The 25 Best Jewish References in Rap.” Internet perfection. [Complex]
• Incredible photo. Click. [Journal of a Journalist]
• A side of Eric Cantor you haven’t seen, and will then wish you hadn’t. [VF]
• For the record, some of us don’t look very Jewish and have oddly Irish names and love it when the Chabadniks accost us and ask if we’re of the tribe. [The Awl]
• Dr. Brown’s cocktails. Dr. Brown’s cocktails! [Jewcy]
• Rabbi Andy Bachman ponders whether he is right to teach his children to love Israel. [Water Over Rocks]
Merry Christmas to the Christians; happy solstice to the pagans.
Daily rate: $2
Monthly rate: $18
Yearly rate: $180
WAIT, WHY DO I HAVE TO PAY TO COMMENT?
Tablet is committed to bringing you the best, smartest, most enlightening and entertaining reporting and writing on Jewish life, all free of charge. We take pride in our community of readers, and are thrilled that you choose to engage with us in a way that is both thoughtful and thought-provoking. But the Internet, for all of its wonders, poses challenges to civilized and constructive discussion, allowing vocal—and, often, anonymous—minorities to drag it down with invective (and worse). Starting today, then, we are asking people who'd like to post comments on the site to pay a nominal fee—less a paywall than a gesture of your own commitment to the cause of great conversation. All proceeds go to helping us bring you the ambitious journalism that brought you here in the first place.
I NEED TO BE HEARD! BUT I DONT WANT TO PAY.
Readers can still interact with us free of charge via Facebook, Twitter, and our other social media channels, or write to us at email@example.com. Each week, we’ll select the best letters and publish them in a new letters to the editor feature on the Scroll.
We hope this new largely symbolic measure will help us create a more pleasant and cultivated environment for all of our readers, and, as always, we thank you deeply for your support.