Daybreak: Egypt Confirms Treaty, Sees Sabotage
Plus tent-protesters strike down proposed plan, and more in the news
• Egypt’s foreign minister reaffirmed the centrality of the peace treaty with Israel. [AP/WP]
• Meanwhile, the natural gas pipeline in Sinai was blown up. Again. For like the sixth time this year. [JTA/Jewish Journal]
• The new Turkey. (More at 10.) [NYT]
• Did the United States last week at the United Nations lose international prestige, much as it did earlier this year with the S&P downgrade? [Yahoo! The Envoy]
• Rep. Gary Ackerman mulled cutting off Palestinian aid. He’s a Jewish outer-borough Democrat, so there’s a good chance he’s feeling the heat from NY-09. [Haaretz]
Daily rate: $2
Monthly rate: $18
Yearly rate: $180
WAIT, WHY DO I HAVE TO PAY TO COMMENT?
Tablet is committed to bringing you the best, smartest, most enlightening and entertaining reporting and writing on Jewish life, all free of charge. We take pride in our community of readers, and are thrilled that you choose to engage with us in a way that is both thoughtful and thought-provoking. But the Internet, for all of its wonders, poses challenges to civilized and constructive discussion, allowing vocal—and, often, anonymous—minorities to drag it down with invective (and worse). Starting today, then, we are asking people who'd like to post comments on the site to pay a nominal fee—less a paywall than a gesture of your own commitment to the cause of great conversation. All proceeds go to helping us bring you the ambitious journalism that brought you here in the first place.
I NEED TO BE HEARD! BUT I DONT WANT TO PAY.
Readers can still interact with us free of charge via Facebook, Twitter, and our other social media channels, or write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Each week, we’ll select the best letters and publish them in a new letters to the editor feature on the Scroll.
We hope this new largely symbolic measure will help us create a more pleasant and cultivated environment for all of our readers, and, as always, we thank you deeply for your support.