Sundown: Peres Calls on Assad to Resign
Plus, Soros retires, Rivlin speaks up, and more
• “Those who seek peace will prevail,” added the Israeli president. [AP/WP]
• George Soros, 81, is ending his four-decade run as a hedge fund manager, returning nearly $1 billion to outside investors and continuing to manage only the assets of himself and family members. [Bloomberg]
• Pat Robertson and David Mamet team up to tell us Jews what we’re doing wrong. [Right Wing Watch]
• Being accused of assassinating former Lebanese Prime Minister Rafik Hariri when you very, very obviously didn’t is kinda funny, until it’s super-not. [Abu Muqawama]
• Trend alert! Flying your kids to New England summer camp on private jets! Now they tell me (and my parents) that there is an airport in Moultonborough! [NYT]
Daily rate: $2
Monthly rate: $18
Yearly rate: $180
WAIT, WHY DO I HAVE TO PAY TO COMMENT?
Tablet is committed to bringing you the best, smartest, most enlightening and entertaining reporting and writing on Jewish life, all free of charge. We take pride in our community of readers, and are thrilled that you choose to engage with us in a way that is both thoughtful and thought-provoking. But the Internet, for all of its wonders, poses challenges to civilized and constructive discussion, allowing vocal—and, often, anonymous—minorities to drag it down with invective (and worse). Starting today, then, we are asking people who'd like to post comments on the site to pay a nominal fee—less a paywall than a gesture of your own commitment to the cause of great conversation. All proceeds go to helping us bring you the ambitious journalism that brought you here in the first place.
I NEED TO BE HEARD! BUT I DONT WANT TO PAY.
Readers can still interact with us free of charge via Facebook, Twitter, and our other social media channels, or write to us at email@example.com. Each week, we’ll select the best letters and publish them in a new letters to the editor feature on the Scroll.
We hope this new largely symbolic measure will help us create a more pleasant and cultivated environment for all of our readers, and, as always, we thank you deeply for your support.