Daybreak: Hama Under Siege, Again
Plus officially no Palestinian unity, and more in the news
• Syrian troops are (re)invading the restive city of Hama. [LAT]
• President Abbas has formally postponed the Palestinian unity government. [AP/Haaretz]
• The question gripping Israel right now: Should there be a full two-day weekend? And it should the second day be Friday or Sunday? (Guys, do it, trust me on this.) [NYT]
• Palestinian negotiator Saeb Erekat insisted that a September U.N. vote still made sense even if the peace process has been rekindled. [Haaretz]
• The chief U.N. nuclear inspector said he was “quite concerned” over Iran’s decision to triple uranium enrichment. [Reuters/Haaretz]
Daily rate: $2
Monthly rate: $18
Yearly rate: $180
WAIT, WHY DO I HAVE TO PAY TO COMMENT?
Tablet is committed to bringing you the best, smartest, most enlightening and entertaining reporting and writing on Jewish life, all free of charge. We take pride in our community of readers, and are thrilled that you choose to engage with us in a way that is both thoughtful and thought-provoking. But the Internet, for all of its wonders, poses challenges to civilized and constructive discussion, allowing vocal—and, often, anonymous—minorities to drag it down with invective (and worse). Starting today, then, we are asking people who'd like to post comments on the site to pay a nominal fee—less a paywall than a gesture of your own commitment to the cause of great conversation. All proceeds go to helping us bring you the ambitious journalism that brought you here in the first place.
I NEED TO BE HEARD! BUT I DONT WANT TO PAY.
Readers can still interact with us free of charge via Facebook, Twitter, and our other social media channels, or write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Each week, we’ll select the best letters and publish them in a new letters to the editor feature on the Scroll.
We hope this new largely symbolic measure will help us create a more pleasant and cultivated environment for all of our readers, and, as always, we thank you deeply for your support.