Plus, Jewish gangsters, Conservatives on marriage, and more
• Organizers of the flotilla have accused the Greek government of acceding to Israeli pressure and trying to halt them. [+972]
• Potential Republican presidential candidate Rick Perry, governor of Texas, called on the U.S. government to prevent the flotilla. [Ben Smith]
• Secretary of State Clinton noted that the United States is continuing its policy of “limited” engagement with the Egyptian Muslim Brotherhood. [AP/WP]
• Why we love Jewish gangsters (if indeed we do). [Atlantic]
• Faced with doctrinal ambiguity, Conservative rabbis in New York are unsure how to respond to the legalization of same-sex marriage. [Forward]
• Columnist Michelle Goldberg’s delightful takedown of the Jewish Republican political hack Lisa Baron’s new memoir. [The Daily Beast]
The Boss on The Big Man.
Daily rate: $2
Monthly rate: $18
Yearly rate: $180
WAIT, WHY DO I HAVE TO PAY TO COMMENT?
Tablet is committed to bringing you the best, smartest, most enlightening and entertaining reporting and writing on Jewish life, all free of charge. We take pride in our community of readers, and are thrilled that you choose to engage with us in a way that is both thoughtful and thought-provoking. But the Internet, for all of its wonders, poses challenges to civilized and constructive discussion, allowing vocal—and, often, anonymous—minorities to drag it down with invective (and worse). Starting today, then, we are asking people who'd like to post comments on the site to pay a nominal fee—less a paywall than a gesture of your own commitment to the cause of great conversation. All proceeds go to helping us bring you the ambitious journalism that brought you here in the first place.
I NEED TO BE HEARD! BUT I DONT WANT TO PAY.
Readers can still interact with us free of charge via Facebook, Twitter, and our other social media channels, or write to us at email@example.com. Each week, we’ll select the best letters and publish them in a new letters to the editor feature on the Scroll.
We hope this new largely symbolic measure will help us create a more pleasant and cultivated environment for all of our readers, and, as always, we thank you deeply for your support.