Daybreak: P.A. Keeps Its Options Open
Plus, Clinton criticizes flotilla, Netanyahu Facebook scandal, and more in the news
• Its U.N. envoy pledged the Palestinian Authority would take some sort of action at the United Nations in September regardless of the status of negotiations. [AP/WP]
• That said, the P.A. also expressed willingness to enter talks even without a settlement freeze, a recognition of their weakened position. [AP/WP]
• The Hamas-Fatah honeymoon really does seem to be winding to a rapid close. [JPost]
• Secretary of State Clinton said the flotilla that plans to sail for Gaza soon is not “necessary or useful.” [Ynet]
• Prime Minister Netanyahu’s son, 19, has posted fairly nasty things about Arabs and Muslims on his Facebook page. At least there were no crotch-shots! [AP/WP]
• Glenn Beck will visit Auschwitz and broadcast from nearby. This will end well. [TPM/Vos Iz Neias?]
Plus, teens text on Shabbat, Apple pulls ‘Third Intifada’ app, and more
Daily rate: $2
Monthly rate: $18
Yearly rate: $180
Tablet is committed to bringing you the best, smartest, most enlightening and entertaining reporting and writing on Jewish life, all free of charge. We take pride in our community of readers, and are thrilled that you choose to engage with us in a way that is both thoughtful and thought-provoking. But the Internet, for all of its wonders, poses challenges to civilized and constructive discussion, allowing vocal—and, often, anonymous—minorities to drag it down with invective (and worse). Starting today, then, we are asking people who'd like to post comments on the site to pay a nominal fee—less a paywall than a gesture of your own commitment to the cause of great conversation. All proceeds go to helping us bring you the ambitious journalism that brought you here in the first place.
Readers can still interact with us free of charge via Facebook, Twitter, and our other social media channels, or write to us at email@example.com. Each week, we’ll select the best letters and publish them in a new letters to the editor feature on the Scroll.