Sundown: ‘To Bigotry No Sanction’
Plus at his Beck and call, baby Portman, and more
• Awesome, awesome article about the lost (and found), famous letter from George Washington to the Jews of Rhode Island. [Forward]
• In the morning, we thought that almost the entire GOP presidential field would be attending Glenn Beck’s rally in Jerusalem. Now, we know that almost none of them are. Don’t worry, though, Joe Lieberman probably is! [HuffPo]
• Of the Awl essay I linked to yesterday, Jeff Goldberg writes, convincingly, that the author “seems to have exchanged one simplistic narrative for another.” [Goldblog]
• Israel HaYom, Sheldon Adelson’s Israeli tabloid, now has an English-language version. [Israel HaYom]
• “Regional developments” including Palestinian reconciliation and the crisis next-door in Syria have prompted the Turkish group IHH, which led last year’s flotilla, to consider dropping out of this year’s. The flotilla itself is still scheduled for the end of this month. [JPost]
• Natalie had a baby. It’s a boy! [JTA]
A helpful, brief video biography of Washington. You may learn a few interesting facts about him.
Daily rate: $2
Monthly rate: $18
Yearly rate: $180
WAIT, WHY DO I HAVE TO PAY TO COMMENT?
Tablet is committed to bringing you the best, smartest, most enlightening and entertaining reporting and writing on Jewish life, all free of charge. We take pride in our community of readers, and are thrilled that you choose to engage with us in a way that is both thoughtful and thought-provoking. But the Internet, for all of its wonders, poses challenges to civilized and constructive discussion, allowing vocal—and, often, anonymous—minorities to drag it down with invective (and worse). Starting today, then, we are asking people who'd like to post comments on the site to pay a nominal fee—less a paywall than a gesture of your own commitment to the cause of great conversation. All proceeds go to helping us bring you the ambitious journalism that brought you here in the first place.
I NEED TO BE HEARD! BUT I DONT WANT TO PAY.
Readers can still interact with us free of charge via Facebook, Twitter, and our other social media channels, or write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Each week, we’ll select the best letters and publish them in a new letters to the editor feature on the Scroll.
We hope this new largely symbolic measure will help us create a more pleasant and cultivated environment for all of our readers, and, as always, we thank you deeply for your support.