Sundown: Send In the Clown
Plus Cindy Adams in the Holy Land, and more
• “I don’t believe in God, but I do believe in Jews,” is something Larry David may as well have said. Read this brilliant essay on Curb Your Enthusiasm. [The Atlantic]
• A beautiful tale about falling in and out of love with Zionism. [The Awl]
• Moving, sad story of Jewish former lineman Bruce Schwager, whose dementia-care treatment may be cut short by the NFL lockout. [NYT]
• Cindy Adams goes to Israel. What a trip! [Page Six]
• Introducing the Latino-Jewish Caucus. [James Besser]
Already can’t wait for the Carole King memoir. Here is my favorite song of hers:
Daily rate: $2
Monthly rate: $18
Yearly rate: $180
WAIT, WHY DO I HAVE TO PAY TO COMMENT?
Tablet is committed to bringing you the best, smartest, most enlightening and entertaining reporting and writing on Jewish life, all free of charge. We take pride in our community of readers, and are thrilled that you choose to engage with us in a way that is both thoughtful and thought-provoking. But the Internet, for all of its wonders, poses challenges to civilized and constructive discussion, allowing vocal—and, often, anonymous—minorities to drag it down with invective (and worse). Starting today, then, we are asking people who'd like to post comments on the site to pay a nominal fee—less a paywall than a gesture of your own commitment to the cause of great conversation. All proceeds go to helping us bring you the ambitious journalism that brought you here in the first place.
I NEED TO BE HEARD! BUT I DONT WANT TO PAY.
Readers can still interact with us free of charge via Facebook, Twitter, and our other social media channels, or write to us at email@example.com. Each week, we’ll select the best letters and publish them in a new letters to the editor feature on the Scroll.
We hope this new largely symbolic measure will help us create a more pleasant and cultivated environment for all of our readers, and, as always, we thank you deeply for your support.