Sundown: Palestinians Receive Speech Coldly
Plus internal Hamas dissent, Jews of the subcontinent, and more
• “Netanyahu’s speech will not lead to peace,” and indeed created “more obstacles,” said the Palestinian Authority spokesperson. [Reuters/Haaretz]
• Bibi’s seven talking points. [Ben Smith]
• Trouble in paradise: A Hamas strongman in Gaza is pissed at the group’s leadership for its Fatah alliance and therefore its implicit backing of talks with Israel. [AP/WP]
• Frequent Scroll contributor Dan Klein has a great profile Center for Jewish History founder Bruce Slovin. [JTA]
• Excellent Christopher Caldwell essay on BHL. [Bookforum]
• The last Jews … of Delhi! [Reuters/JI Daily]
Well I mean what else?
The Jewish state’s strongest supporters (and leader) don’t want it politicized
Daily rate: $2
Monthly rate: $18
Yearly rate: $180
WAIT, WHY DO I HAVE TO PAY TO COMMENT?
Tablet is committed to bringing you the best, smartest, most enlightening and entertaining reporting and writing on Jewish life, all free of charge. We take pride in our community of readers, and are thrilled that you choose to engage with us in a way that is both thoughtful and thought-provoking. But the Internet, for all of its wonders, poses challenges to civilized and constructive discussion, allowing vocal—and, often, anonymous—minorities to drag it down with invective (and worse). Starting today, then, we are asking people who'd like to post comments on the site to pay a nominal fee—less a paywall than a gesture of your own commitment to the cause of great conversation. All proceeds go to helping us bring you the ambitious journalism that brought you here in the first place.
I NEED TO BE HEARD! BUT I DONT WANT TO PAY.
Readers can still interact with us free of charge via Facebook, Twitter, and our other social media channels, or write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Each week, we’ll select the best letters and publish them in a new letters to the editor feature on the Scroll.
We hope this new largely symbolic measure will help us create a more pleasant and cultivated environment for all of our readers, and, as always, we thank you deeply for your support.