Sundown: Beck’s Jerusalem Syndrome, March
Plus Obama at AIPAC, Obama vs. Iran, and more
• President Obama will be speaking this coming Sunday at the annual AIPAC conference in Washington, D.C. [AP/WP]
• Skiing in summertime: In one of the largest such busts in the country’s history, two men were arrested in Israel with $60 million worth of cocaine. [AP/WP]
• In a nearly overwhelming confluence of Nextbook Press star power, tonight author Elie Wiesel will receive the U.S. Holocaust Memorial Museum’s first award, and author Deborah Lipstadt will speak. [WP]
• A new U.N. report on Iran’s nuclear program vindicates the Obama administration’s strategy of successfully pursuing multilateral sanctions, argues Matt Duss. [CAP]
• Tonight is Storahtelling’s B Mitzvah, celebrated at City Winery in Manhattan. Go give it a pocket watch! [Storahtelling]
Today in Jonathan Richman’s 60th (sixtieth!) birthday.
David Stern, Ben Cohen fight for recognition in less-welcome arena
Daily rate: $2
Monthly rate: $18
Yearly rate: $180
Tablet is committed to bringing you the best, smartest, most enlightening and entertaining reporting and writing on Jewish life, all free of charge. We take pride in our community of readers, and are thrilled that you choose to engage with us in a way that is both thoughtful and thought-provoking. But the Internet, for all of its wonders, poses challenges to civilized and constructive discussion, allowing vocal—and, often, anonymous—minorities to drag it down with invective (and worse). Starting today, then, we are asking people who'd like to post comments on the site to pay a nominal fee—less a paywall than a gesture of your own commitment to the cause of great conversation. All proceeds go to helping us bring you the ambitious journalism that brought you here in the first place.
Readers can still interact with us free of charge via Facebook, Twitter, and our other social media channels, or write to us at email@example.com. Each week, we’ll select the best letters and publish them in a new letters to the editor feature on the Scroll.