Sundown: A Unified Palestine?
Plus Oren stands up for Israel, and more in the news
• Are Fatah and Hamas totally back together again? Maybe. More tomorrow. [NYT]
• Ambassador Michael Oren argues that the U.S.-Israeli special relationship remains crucial to American interests. Several folks, including contributing editor Jeff Goldberg and controversial professor Stephen Walt, respond. [Foreign Policy]
• An inside look at how the IDF creates its ethical rules. [JPost]
• Will the U.S. Senate get its first Jewish Tea Partier? Yes, if Adam Hasner, of Florida, has his way. [JTA]
• A new issue of the Jewish Review of Books dropped, with much attention given to the Arab spring, including a lead essay by Natan Sharansky. [JRB]
• Stay classy, pro-gun lobby. [HuffPo]
If it’s spring, it’s time for Chabad’s Mitzvah Tanks!
Daily rate: $2
Monthly rate: $18
Yearly rate: $180
WAIT, WHY DO I HAVE TO PAY TO COMMENT?
Tablet is committed to bringing you the best, smartest, most enlightening and entertaining reporting and writing on Jewish life, all free of charge. We take pride in our community of readers, and are thrilled that you choose to engage with us in a way that is both thoughtful and thought-provoking. But the Internet, for all of its wonders, poses challenges to civilized and constructive discussion, allowing vocal—and, often, anonymous—minorities to drag it down with invective (and worse). Starting today, then, we are asking people who'd like to post comments on the site to pay a nominal fee—less a paywall than a gesture of your own commitment to the cause of great conversation. All proceeds go to helping us bring you the ambitious journalism that brought you here in the first place.
I NEED TO BE HEARD! BUT I DONT WANT TO PAY.
Readers can still interact with us free of charge via Facebook, Twitter, and our other social media channels, or write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Each week, we’ll select the best letters and publish them in a new letters to the editor feature on the Scroll.
We hope this new largely symbolic measure will help us create a more pleasant and cultivated environment for all of our readers, and, as always, we thank you deeply for your support.