Sundown: Bibi and Barak’s Bond
Plus Giamatti wins Globe as Jew, and more
• The chief thing uniting Prime Minister Netanyahu and Defense Minister Ehud Barak, who just bolted Labor to stay in Bibi’s government, is, Aluf Benn writes, an “activist view” against Iran that insists on leaving the military option firmly on the table. [Haaretz]
• The other daily magazine of Jewish life and culture profiles Reboot, the organization for Jews rediscovering their Jewishness. [NYT]
• On Sarah Palin’s missed opportunity. [Goldblog]
• This Israeli dance troupe made up of five Orthodox men is just waiting for The Full Monty treatment. [NYT]
• TheJMom.com is literally every Jewish boy’s worst nightmare. No but like literally. [Jewcy]
Real Jew Gwyneth Paltrow plays non-Jew Taylor Swift playing a bar mitzvah (on SNL).
Daily rate: $2
Monthly rate: $18
Yearly rate: $180
WAIT, WHY DO I HAVE TO PAY TO COMMENT?
Tablet is committed to bringing you the best, smartest, most enlightening and entertaining reporting and writing on Jewish life, all free of charge. We take pride in our community of readers, and are thrilled that you choose to engage with us in a way that is both thoughtful and thought-provoking. But the Internet, for all of its wonders, poses challenges to civilized and constructive discussion, allowing vocal—and, often, anonymous—minorities to drag it down with invective (and worse). Starting today, then, we are asking people who'd like to post comments on the site to pay a nominal fee—less a paywall than a gesture of your own commitment to the cause of great conversation. All proceeds go to helping us bring you the ambitious journalism that brought you here in the first place.
I NEED TO BE HEARD! BUT I DONT WANT TO PAY.
Readers can still interact with us free of charge via Facebook, Twitter, and our other social media channels, or write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Each week, we’ll select the best letters and publish them in a new letters to the editor feature on the Scroll.
We hope this new largely symbolic measure will help us create a more pleasant and cultivated environment for all of our readers, and, as always, we thank you deeply for your support.