Sundown: 1.5 Billion Jews Is a Scary Thought
Plus Bibi and me, and more
• Comparing her people to the Chinese, Diane von Furstenberg suggests, “Try to think of governing a billion and a half Jews.” No thanks! [NYMag]
• Romney and Bibi sittin’ in a tree? [Ben Smith]
• If the current New Yorker caption contest cartoon doesn’t deserve a Jewish punchline, I don’t know what does. [The New Yorker]
• Jews of color get their own magazine, Kehila. [Jewcy]
• Several Israeli tourists are stuck in a city in southern Chile. Which wouldn’t be such a huge deal, except they’re getting no aid because, oh yeah, Israel’s foreign workers are on strike. [Ynet]
This is the song you play as you eat Christian-baby blood.
Daily rate: $2
Monthly rate: $18
Yearly rate: $180
WAIT, WHY DO I HAVE TO PAY TO COMMENT?
Tablet is committed to bringing you the best, smartest, most enlightening and entertaining reporting and writing on Jewish life, all free of charge. We take pride in our community of readers, and are thrilled that you choose to engage with us in a way that is both thoughtful and thought-provoking. But the Internet, for all of its wonders, poses challenges to civilized and constructive discussion, allowing vocal—and, often, anonymous—minorities to drag it down with invective (and worse). Starting today, then, we are asking people who'd like to post comments on the site to pay a nominal fee—less a paywall than a gesture of your own commitment to the cause of great conversation. All proceeds go to helping us bring you the ambitious journalism that brought you here in the first place.
I NEED TO BE HEARD! BUT I DONT WANT TO PAY.
Readers can still interact with us free of charge via Facebook, Twitter, and our other social media channels, or write to us at email@example.com. Each week, we’ll select the best letters and publish them in a new letters to the editor feature on the Scroll.
We hope this new largely symbolic measure will help us create a more pleasant and cultivated environment for all of our readers, and, as always, we thank you deeply for your support.