Sundown: Steve Cohen
Plus Disneyland in the Holy Land, and more
• Read this now. Bravo. [NYT]
• “Disneyland, you’ve just won the Super Bowl. What are you going to do next?” “I’m going to Haifa!” [JTA]
• Israelis and Palestinians, coming together by trying to beat the crap out of each other. (It’s called boxing.) [WP]
• People are upset because the Chicago Marathon is scheduled for the day after Yom Kippur. [JTA]
• How will the “start-up nation” enter its next phase? [The Economist]
• Miss Massachusetts, a.k.a. Loren Geller Rabinowitz, could become only the second Jewish Miss America when the pageant happens January 15. [Sisterhood]
And if you look above you’ll see the vultures swooping in!
Daily rate: $2
Monthly rate: $18
Yearly rate: $180
WAIT, WHY DO I HAVE TO PAY TO COMMENT?
Tablet is committed to bringing you the best, smartest, most enlightening and entertaining reporting and writing on Jewish life, all free of charge. We take pride in our community of readers, and are thrilled that you choose to engage with us in a way that is both thoughtful and thought-provoking. But the Internet, for all of its wonders, poses challenges to civilized and constructive discussion, allowing vocal—and, often, anonymous—minorities to drag it down with invective (and worse). Starting today, then, we are asking people who'd like to post comments on the site to pay a nominal fee—less a paywall than a gesture of your own commitment to the cause of great conversation. All proceeds go to helping us bring you the ambitious journalism that brought you here in the first place.
I NEED TO BE HEARD! BUT I DONT WANT TO PAY.
Readers can still interact with us free of charge via Facebook, Twitter, and our other social media channels, or write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Each week, we’ll select the best letters and publish them in a new letters to the editor feature on the Scroll.
We hope this new largely symbolic measure will help us create a more pleasant and cultivated environment for all of our readers, and, as always, we thank you deeply for your support.