Hitchens Welcomes Your Prayers

Though he won’t be joining you

Upon hearing that people were praying for Christopher Hitchens, the Tablet Magazine contributor currently undergoing chemotherapy for esophageal cancer (the same illness that killed his father, which has apparently spread to his lymph nodes), I found it kind of offensive, given the tremendous time and intellectual energy Hitchens has devoted to his atheism.

I still wonder whether Page Six wasn’t trying to be snarky about the proud unbeliever Hitchens’s battle with mortality. However, Hitchens himself has clarifiedin numerous venues—that though he himself has not prayed for himself, and that reports of any deathbed conversion should be chalked up to the working of an enfeebled and unrepresentative state of his mind, he actually welcomes those who are praying for him to get well—though not those who are praying that his soul be saved by the God he does not believe exists.

Below: Tablet Magazine contributing editor Jeff Goldberg talks to Hitchens (as well as his “dearest friend,” the novelist Martin Amis).

Christopher Hitchens, Not Going Gently [NYT]
Related: Topic of Cancer [VF]
Earlier: No, Don’t Pray for Hitchens

Argaman says:

Oy, that’s disgusting. You may not like the man’s politics, but he’s not a Nazi (a term that shouldn’t be thrown about lightly), and as a fellow suffering human being, he deserves compassion.

lovelyisraelis says:

I want to apologize to the Tablet community for my horrible comment. The reason for all my hateful commentary is for this simple reason. G-d has cursed me with very small genitalia. The boys in gym laughed at me and all the girls that would come home with me would stare, laugh and then promptly leave. I need to take my anger out on rest of the world. I figure since everyone hates the ‘supposedly’ chosen people, no one would care. Why has G-d cursed me?

Argaman says:

I guess you really have no idea what Nazism was and what happened during the Nazi conquest of Europe. Try reading a few reputable books about it, and then reexamine your denunciation of Hitchens as a Nazi.

lovelyisraelis says:

The mindset is essentially the same, namely that the lives of those we deem inferior are without value and they may be tortured, brutalized and massacred in enormous numbers without the least qualm.

That’s a Nazi mindset. That’s an Israeli mindset. That is Hitchens’ mindset.

James says:

durr hurr i am a comment

James says:

durr hurr i am a commentdurr hurr i am a comment

Yes. And all Nazi’s were raised on mother’s milk. All Israeli’s were raised on mother’s milk, too. So was Mr. Hitchens. Coincidence? You decide.

Be a Mensch. Support Tablet.

Hitchens Welcomes Your Prayers

Though he won’t be joining you

Why the Teenage Girls of Europe Are Joining ISIS

By Lee Smith — Because they want the same things that teenage boys want: a strong sense of meaning and purpose