Sundown: Kosher Pot
Plus more on the Lebanon aid question, and more
• A rabbi and his wife want to set up the first legal medical-marijuana dispensary in Washington, D.C. He believes in pot in part for religious reasons. [Washington City Paper]
• Does Obama have to worry more about Jews on the right abandoning him over Israel … or Jews on the left abandoning him over his political compromises? [Political Insider]
• Turns out David Yerushalmi, an Orthodox Jew who wants to criminalize being Muslim in the United States, also hates … Jews. Sounds like quite a character! [Talk to Action]
• How heart-warming: Young Israelis and Palestinians laboring side-by-side as yet more annoying Washington, D.C., summer interns. [WP]
• Israel is stocking up on gasoline for 2011. Hmm. [Negev Rock City]
Daily rate: $2
Monthly rate: $18
Yearly rate: $180
WAIT, WHY DO I HAVE TO PAY TO COMMENT?
Tablet is committed to bringing you the best, smartest, most enlightening and entertaining reporting and writing on Jewish life, all free of charge. We take pride in our community of readers, and are thrilled that you choose to engage with us in a way that is both thoughtful and thought-provoking. But the Internet, for all of its wonders, poses challenges to civilized and constructive discussion, allowing vocal—and, often, anonymous—minorities to drag it down with invective (and worse). Starting today, then, we are asking people who'd like to post comments on the site to pay a nominal fee—less a paywall than a gesture of your own commitment to the cause of great conversation. All proceeds go to helping us bring you the ambitious journalism that brought you here in the first place.
I NEED TO BE HEARD! BUT I DONT WANT TO PAY.
Readers can still interact with us free of charge via Facebook, Twitter, and our other social media channels, or write to us at email@example.com. Each week, we’ll select the best letters and publish them in a new letters to the editor feature on the Scroll.
We hope this new largely symbolic measure will help us create a more pleasant and cultivated environment for all of our readers, and, as always, we thank you deeply for your support.