Sundown: Park51 As Third Rail
Plus Portnoy at the age of nine, and more
• Why the White House has not weighed in the Cordoba Initiative: The pro-construction side polls horribly nationwide. [Ben Smith]
• Meanwhile, the Obama administration is sending the extremely radical imam behind the center on a diplomatic outreach tour of the Mideast … just like the Bush administration did. [American Prospect]
• An especially good Tony Judt obit. [NY Observer]
• A fourth-grader reads Portnoy’s Complaint. [The Millions]
• Tonight! Lower East Side Tenement Museum! Go see our very own Sara Ivry interview novelist Ghita Schwarz! [Tenement Museum]
Goldberg practices a different sort of ‘linkage’
Daily rate: $2
Monthly rate: $18
Yearly rate: $180
WAIT, WHY DO I HAVE TO PAY TO COMMENT?
Tablet is committed to bringing you the best, smartest, most enlightening and entertaining reporting and writing on Jewish life, all free of charge. We take pride in our community of readers, and are thrilled that you choose to engage with us in a way that is both thoughtful and thought-provoking. But the Internet, for all of its wonders, poses challenges to civilized and constructive discussion, allowing vocal—and, often, anonymous—minorities to drag it down with invective (and worse). Starting today, then, we are asking people who'd like to post comments on the site to pay a nominal fee—less a paywall than a gesture of your own commitment to the cause of great conversation. All proceeds go to helping us bring you the ambitious journalism that brought you here in the first place.
I NEED TO BE HEARD! BUT I DONT WANT TO PAY.
Readers can still interact with us free of charge via Facebook, Twitter, and our other social media channels, or write to us at email@example.com. Each week, we’ll select the best letters and publish them in a new letters to the editor feature on the Scroll.
We hope this new largely symbolic measure will help us create a more pleasant and cultivated environment for all of our readers, and, as always, we thank you deeply for your support.