Daybreak: U.N. Confirms Israeli Side
Plus the attempt on A’jad’s life, and more in the news
• A United Nations peacekeeping force in southern Lebanon reported that Israeli soldiers had been in Israel when yesterday’s skirmish began. [NYT]
• IDF soldiers have since entered those “enclaves” that are in Israel proper but lie on the other side of the border fence in order to prevent further attacks. [JPost]
• Someone reportedly tried to assassinate Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, though his office is denying it. [Ynet]
• Israeli shelling of Gaza killed at least one militant. [Haaretz]
• The full Senate opened debate on Elena Kagan’s Supreme Court nomination, which is expected to pass. [NYT]
• The death earlier this week of Morrie Yohai—the inventor of the Cheez Doodle—continues to make waves in the snack industry. [NYT]
Daily rate: $2
Monthly rate: $18
Yearly rate: $180
WAIT, WHY DO I HAVE TO PAY TO COMMENT?
Tablet is committed to bringing you the best, smartest, most enlightening and entertaining reporting and writing on Jewish life, all free of charge. We take pride in our community of readers, and are thrilled that you choose to engage with us in a way that is both thoughtful and thought-provoking. But the Internet, for all of its wonders, poses challenges to civilized and constructive discussion, allowing vocal—and, often, anonymous—minorities to drag it down with invective (and worse). Starting today, then, we are asking people who'd like to post comments on the site to pay a nominal fee—less a paywall than a gesture of your own commitment to the cause of great conversation. All proceeds go to helping us bring you the ambitious journalism that brought you here in the first place.
I NEED TO BE HEARD! BUT I DONT WANT TO PAY.
Readers can still interact with us free of charge via Facebook, Twitter, and our other social media channels, or write to us at email@example.com. Each week, we’ll select the best letters and publish them in a new letters to the editor feature on the Scroll.
We hope this new largely symbolic measure will help us create a more pleasant and cultivated environment for all of our readers, and, as always, we thank you deeply for your support.