Your Jewish Fall Fiction Preview

Ten new novels to know

When you work at a magazine, you get advance copies.(The author)

Borrowing from one round-up in The Millions and another in The Second Pass, here are some superlative forthcoming books.

Most Anticipated: Though Jonathan Franzen isn’t Jewish, Freedom—his first novel since 2001’s massively acclaimed The Corrections—features a character who is the son of a bigwig Jewish neoconservative (September).

The One You’re Most Likely To Read: Adam Langer’s The Thieves of Manhattan. Short, fun, and about New York’s literary scene (July).

Most Charming: Allegra Goodman’s The Cookbook Collector. She’s a very charming writer: here, read her New Yorker stuff while you wait (July).

Longest: Adam Levin’s two-volume debut The Instructions (sounds like this, which sounds like this) stretches the tale of a 10-year-old named Gurion Maccabee (I get it, I guess?) over 900 pages. Please allow me to be the first to call Levin “The Josh Cohen of the McSweeney’s set” (November).

Roth: He gets his own category—a new novel from him has become as reliable as your annual Woody fix. This one’s called Nemesis, and it’s set in Idaho, Singapore, and Turkmenistan, among other exotic locales. Just kidding, it’s set in Newark (October).

Most Tablet Magazine-y: Contributing editor Gary Shteyngart’s Super Sad True Love Story (end of July).

Most Israeli: To the End of the Land is the much-awaited new offering from David Grossman, one of the masters of his unusually talented generation of Israeli novelists (September).

Most Likely To Have a Decemberists Song Written About It: False Friends, by Myla Goldberg (October).

Most Park Slope: The Great House, by Nicole Krauss.

Best Description: According to the publisher, Cynthia Ozick’s new novel (!), Foreign Bodies, is a retelling of Henry James’ The Ambassadors, which is one of the 27 novels he wrote about Americans abroad. The catch? “The plot is the same, the meaning is reversed.”

The plot is the same, the meaning is reversed? I’m pretty sure that’s the official motto of all Jewish-American novelists.

COMMENTING CHARGES
Daily rate: $2
Monthly rate: $18
Yearly rate: $180

WAIT, WHY DO I HAVE TO PAY TO COMMENT?
Tablet is committed to bringing you the best, smartest, most enlightening and entertaining reporting and writing on Jewish life, all free of charge. We take pride in our community of readers, and are thrilled that you choose to engage with us in a way that is both thoughtful and thought-provoking. But the Internet, for all of its wonders, poses challenges to civilized and constructive discussion, allowing vocal—and, often, anonymous—minorities to drag it down with invective (and worse). Starting today, then, we are asking people who'd like to post comments on the site to pay a nominal fee—less a paywall than a gesture of your own commitment to the cause of great conversation. All proceeds go to helping us bring you the ambitious journalism that brought you here in the first place.

I NEED TO BE HEARD! BUT I DONT WANT TO PAY.
Readers can still interact with us free of charge via Facebook, Twitter, and our other social media channels, or write to us at letters@tabletmag.com. Each week, we’ll select the best letters and publish them in a new letters to the editor feature on the Scroll.

We hope this new largely symbolic measure will help us create a more pleasant and cultivated environment for all of our readers, and, as always, we thank you deeply for your support.

Gilad Abiri says:

David Grossman

Let me guess: Franzen character will have an epiphany that there is no meaningful difference between his father’s neoconservative policies and those of the Third Reich, and will become estranged from his father.

Ranen says:

Gilad is right–Grossman’s work matters far more than any of these others in terms of its literary impact. Those of us who have already read it in Hebrew or in the English translation proofs know what a wise, powerful, and culturally consequential this heartbreaking novel is.

Jacob Arnon says:

“Jonathan Franzen isn’t Jewish, Freedom—his first novel since 2001’s massively acclaimed The Corrections—features a character who is the son of a bigwig Jewish neoconservative”

let me guess the son disowns his father and becomes an anti-Zionist Christian.

Jacob Arnon says:

I am no Roth addict and I hated his last few novellas. However, his longer fiction is usually much better.

Judith Nusbaum says:

I suggest you include Yehuda Avner’s, “The Prime Ministers” on your must read list.

Please include non-fiction books on your recommended list.

Judy Meltzer says:

Wow! My old friends are giving birth again. Hurrah! My book club (now beginning its 26th year together) is as excited as I am about our literary prospects for next year.
Thanks.

You got the Franzen novel wrong. I think it’s about a liberal father and a son who becomes a Republican.

Carol says:

Why doesn’t anyone represent the observant Jewish point of view. All of these authors are hopelessly assimilated, divorced from authentic Jewish values, probably won’t have Jewish grandchildren (or children)

New mainstream young adult novel from an observant Jewish girl’s perspective.One Is Not A Lonely Number.

This is exactly what I’ve been trying to find all day. Don’t stop updating this web site.

Nice post. I learn one thing tougher on different blogs everyday. It’ll at all times be stimulating to learn content material from other writers and observe a bit of one thing from their store. I’d favor to use some with the content on my weblog whether or not you don’t mind. Natually I’ll provide you with a hyperlink in your net blog. Thanks for sharing.

I havenˇ¦t checked in here for some time since I thought it was getting boring, but the last few posts are great quality so I guess I will add you back to my everyday bloglist. You deserve it my friend :)

Hey there, just become aware of your own website through Google, and found that it’s really informative. I’m gonna watch out for the city. I will be grateful for those who carry on this particular in future. Plenty of people will probably be benefited out of your composing. Cheers!

I’ve said that least 2931467 times. The problem this like that is they are just too compilcated for the average bird, if you know what I mean

You must participate in a contest for one of the best blogs on the web. I will advocate this site!

It arduous to seek out knowledgeable folks on this subject, but you sound like you realize what youe speaking about! Thanks

Teens would be the most concerned people in the culture with regards to weight and the body image.

Your Jewish Fall Fiction Preview

Ten new novels to know

Kerry Links Rise of ISIS With Failed Peace Talks

By Lee Smith — Secretary of State: ‘I see a lot of heads nodding’