Daybreak: Obama OKs Extra $205M in Aid
Plus Cass in bright lights, and more in the news
• President Obama allocated an additional $205 million in military aid for the completion of Israel’s “Iron Dome” missile defense system. [JTA]
• Obama and President Medevedev kibitzed over Iran and the Mideast during an hour-and-a-half phone call. [JPost]
• After going an entire issue without a major feature shedding light on a new corner of the Obama administration, the Times Magazine profiles lawyer, author, and top federal regulator Cass Sunstein. [NYT]
• An historic Shanghai synagogue, built by the first wave of immigrants from Baghdad in the 1920s, was given permission to hold limited services in connection with the upcoming World Expo. [eJP]
• Law & Order looks to be on its way out. Somehow, this feels like Jewish news. [NYT]
Daily rate: $2
Monthly rate: $18
Yearly rate: $180
WAIT, WHY DO I HAVE TO PAY TO COMMENT?
Tablet is committed to bringing you the best, smartest, most enlightening and entertaining reporting and writing on Jewish life, all free of charge. We take pride in our community of readers, and are thrilled that you choose to engage with us in a way that is both thoughtful and thought-provoking. But the Internet, for all of its wonders, poses challenges to civilized and constructive discussion, allowing vocal—and, often, anonymous—minorities to drag it down with invective (and worse). Starting today, then, we are asking people who'd like to post comments on the site to pay a nominal fee—less a paywall than a gesture of your own commitment to the cause of great conversation. All proceeds go to helping us bring you the ambitious journalism that brought you here in the first place.
I NEED TO BE HEARD! BUT I DONT WANT TO PAY.
Readers can still interact with us free of charge via Facebook, Twitter, and our other social media channels, or write to us at email@example.com. Each week, we’ll select the best letters and publish them in a new letters to the editor feature on the Scroll.
We hope this new largely symbolic measure will help us create a more pleasant and cultivated environment for all of our readers, and, as always, we thank you deeply for your support.