Sundown: Goldstone Responds
Plus leave Chomsky alone! and more
• Richard Goldstone says being an apartheid-era judge was “a difficult moral decision,” and argues, “I do not understand why my actions as a judge in those years precludes me … from judging war crimes whether committed in the former Yugoslavia, Rwanda, or the Middle East.” [Jewish Chronicle/Vos Iz Neias?]
• Prime Minister Netanyahu referred to the hundreds of “Jerusalem” (or “Zion”) mentions in the Bible. [Reuters/Vos Iz Neias?]
• “Masbia” are four restaurants in Brooklyn and Queens that serve kosher meals for free to impoverished Jews. [Brooklyn Rail]
• How to tell a schlemiel from a schlimazel from a schmendrik from a plain old jerk. [Forward]
• Noam Chomsky is taking a pass today. [The Onion]
A slideshow of Lepkoff’s photos is here. One is below.
Daily rate: $2
Monthly rate: $18
Yearly rate: $180
WAIT, WHY DO I HAVE TO PAY TO COMMENT?
Tablet is committed to bringing you the best, smartest, most enlightening and entertaining reporting and writing on Jewish life, all free of charge. We take pride in our community of readers, and are thrilled that you choose to engage with us in a way that is both thoughtful and thought-provoking. But the Internet, for all of its wonders, poses challenges to civilized and constructive discussion, allowing vocal—and, often, anonymous—minorities to drag it down with invective (and worse). Starting today, then, we are asking people who'd like to post comments on the site to pay a nominal fee—less a paywall than a gesture of your own commitment to the cause of great conversation. All proceeds go to helping us bring you the ambitious journalism that brought you here in the first place.
I NEED TO BE HEARD! BUT I DONT WANT TO PAY.
Readers can still interact with us free of charge via Facebook, Twitter, and our other social media channels, or write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Each week, we’ll select the best letters and publish them in a new letters to the editor feature on the Scroll.
We hope this new largely symbolic measure will help us create a more pleasant and cultivated environment for all of our readers, and, as always, we thank you deeply for your support.