Which Dayan Said It?
Can you tell rocker Aviv Geffen from security expert Uzi Dayan?
Today is Dayan Family Day at Tablet, with two different relatives of legendary Israeli general-turned-politician Moshe Dayan featured in articles on the site. One, Dayan’s nephew Gen. Uzi Dayan, is Israel’s lead security negotiator and previously served as national security adviser to Prime Ministers Ehud Barak and Ariel Sharon. The other, Moshe Dayan’s cousin Aviv Geffen, one of Israel’s most iconic and enduring rock stars.
Here’s a pop quiz to see just how different the Dayan relatives sound. Who said each of the following quotes—the straight-laced Dayan, or the rock-n-rollin’ Geffen? Leave your guesses, with the corresponding numbers, in the comments.
1. “I hope that we’ll arrive to a day that there will be peace”
2. “I forgive because there’s no time left.”
3. “It’s a miracle, one brought about by hard work.”
4. “There’s a generation that grew up on the agenda I led.”
5. This is the problem with proverbs and sayings. A friend in Jerusalem once said to me, “Life is like a cucumber.” I said, “Why a cucumber?” You know what he said? “I don’t know why, but it’s like a cucumber.”
6. “I was not corrupted.”
7. “Ehud Olmert is corrupted.”
8. “if the corruption of the leaders will continue, the Israeli people are going to lose their confidence in the country’s leadership.”