Daybreak: Holiday Test
Iran threatens, Barak is sued, Madoff victims stew, and more in the news
• Iran claims it test-fired three missiles on Sunday with the range to hit Israel. [NYT]
• A Jewish visit to Jerusalem’s Temple Mount spurred Palestinian riots in East Jerusalem over Yom Kippur. [JTA]
• Pulitzer-winning New York Timescolumnist William Safire died Sunday at 79. [NYT]
• Israeli Defense Minister Ehud Barak is being sued in Britain for alleged war crimes in Gaza; Barak, who is currently visiting the United Kingdom, was warned to leave but stayed for his meeting with British P.rime Minister Gordon Brown today. [Ynet]
• New York Magazine reports on the victims of Bernie Madoff who have been “cast out and left to stew in their own anger and humiliation.” [NYMag]
Daily rate: $2
Monthly rate: $18
Yearly rate: $180
WAIT, WHY DO I HAVE TO PAY TO COMMENT?
Tablet is committed to bringing you the best, smartest, most enlightening and entertaining reporting and writing on Jewish life, all free of charge. We take pride in our community of readers, and are thrilled that you choose to engage with us in a way that is both thoughtful and thought-provoking. But the Internet, for all of its wonders, poses challenges to civilized and constructive discussion, allowing vocal—and, often, anonymous—minorities to drag it down with invective (and worse). Starting today, then, we are asking people who'd like to post comments on the site to pay a nominal fee—less a paywall than a gesture of your own commitment to the cause of great conversation. All proceeds go to helping us bring you the ambitious journalism that brought you here in the first place.
I NEED TO BE HEARD! BUT I DONT WANT TO PAY.
Readers can still interact with us free of charge via Facebook, Twitter, and our other social media channels, or write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Each week, we’ll select the best letters and publish them in a new letters to the editor feature on the Scroll.
We hope this new largely symbolic measure will help us create a more pleasant and cultivated environment for all of our readers, and, as always, we thank you deeply for your support.