Plus unemployment in Europe and Hamas vs. Hezbollah
• 13-year-old Arvind Mahankali, who is destined to have a totally normal adolescence, won the 2013 Scripps National Spelling Bee last night by correctly spelling the word knaidel. The Jewish dumpling will now become a metaphor in countless think pieces about American Jewry. [JTA]
• Unemployment in the European Union reached a new all-time high of 12.2% with over 19 million people out of work across the 17 countries. The silver lining: No one is going to blame the Jews. [NYT]
• Hanin Ghaddar writes about the battle between Hamas and Hezbollah in Syria, two terror groups that both honed their tactics fighting the IDF. [NOW]
• The New York Mets swept the New York Yankees in an early interleague subway series, the first time the Mets have ever pulled off a sweep of the Bronx Bombers. [NYT]
• Jillian Scheinfeld talks shop with Katy Hirschfeld, a mixed-media artist and collagist, who runs the popular site Collage Garage. [Jewcy]
Yair Lapid appeals to Israel’s ultra-Orthodox, says he does not seek to destroy their way of life, but rather to include them in the state’s defense.