Daybreak: Russian Missiles Arrive in Syria
Plus author Alice Walker’s upcoming gig at the 92Y rankles many
• The first shipment of Russia’s powerful anti-aircraft missiles have arrived in Syria following a much-condemned arms deal between Russia and embattled dictator Bashar Assad. [NYT]
• Alice Walker, who wrote The Color Purple and then refused to have it translated into Hebrew on principle, is slated to be a guest at the 92Y. Jonathan Tobin cracks his knuckles. [Commentary]
• Holocaust survivor and pioneering abortion rights activist Henry Morgentaler has died at age 90. [NYT]
• Palestinian girls aim to protest against Israel without using stones. Also one of the more incoherent stories I’ve consumed. [NPR]
• Jewcy’s newest power couple: Justin Bieber manager Scooter Braun and philanthropist/activist Yael Cohen. [Jewcy]
Daily rate: $2
Monthly rate: $18
Yearly rate: $180
WAIT, WHY DO I HAVE TO PAY TO COMMENT?
Tablet is committed to bringing you the best, smartest, most enlightening and entertaining reporting and writing on Jewish life, all free of charge. We take pride in our community of readers, and are thrilled that you choose to engage with us in a way that is both thoughtful and thought-provoking. But the Internet, for all of its wonders, poses challenges to civilized and constructive discussion, allowing vocal—and, often, anonymous—minorities to drag it down with invective (and worse). Starting today, then, we are asking people who'd like to post comments on the site to pay a nominal fee—less a paywall than a gesture of your own commitment to the cause of great conversation. All proceeds go to helping us bring you the ambitious journalism that brought you here in the first place.
I NEED TO BE HEARD! BUT I DONT WANT TO PAY.
Readers can still interact with us free of charge via Facebook, Twitter, and our other social media channels, or write to us at email@example.com. Each week, we’ll select the best letters and publish them in a new letters to the editor feature on the Scroll.
We hope this new largely symbolic measure will help us create a more pleasant and cultivated environment for all of our readers, and, as always, we thank you deeply for your support.