Sundown: So…North Korea
Plus five detained members of Women of the Wall are released
• According to a Pentagon assessment, North Korea may have the capacity to make a nuclear missile. [NYT]
• The five women arrested at the monthly Women of the Wall prayer service at the Western Wall were released after being detained and questioned for several hours. [JTA]
• Martyl Langsdorf, designer of the Doomsday Day Clock, has died at age 96. [NYT]
• A Palestinian-American teenager accused of throwing rocks at Israeli motorists have been held in military lock-up for a week, stirring some controversy from American civil liberties groups. [Haaretz/AP]
• Turning heads in a lot of corners today is the trial of Kermit Gosnell, an abortion doctor charged with the murder of eight. Justin Green reports. [Daily Beast]
Daily rate: $2
Monthly rate: $18
Yearly rate: $180
WAIT, WHY DO I HAVE TO PAY TO COMMENT?
Tablet is committed to bringing you the best, smartest, most enlightening and entertaining reporting and writing on Jewish life, all free of charge. We take pride in our community of readers, and are thrilled that you choose to engage with us in a way that is both thoughtful and thought-provoking. But the Internet, for all of its wonders, poses challenges to civilized and constructive discussion, allowing vocal—and, often, anonymous—minorities to drag it down with invective (and worse). Starting today, then, we are asking people who'd like to post comments on the site to pay a nominal fee—less a paywall than a gesture of your own commitment to the cause of great conversation. All proceeds go to helping us bring you the ambitious journalism that brought you here in the first place.
I NEED TO BE HEARD! BUT I DONT WANT TO PAY.
Readers can still interact with us free of charge via Facebook, Twitter, and our other social media channels, or write to us at email@example.com. Each week, we’ll select the best letters and publish them in a new letters to the editor feature on the Scroll.
We hope this new largely symbolic measure will help us create a more pleasant and cultivated environment for all of our readers, and, as always, we thank you deeply for your support.