Suzy Lee Weiss Fires Back on the Today Show

Writer of the college rejection paean to end all paeans responds to critics

Suzy Lee Weiss(WSJ)

A story we’ve been following closely–how could we not? she’s mishpucha–is the tale of Suzy Lee Weiss, a high school senior, who quite publicly and satirically grappled with her college rejections in the pages of the Wall Street Journal.

Her article spawned countless response pieces, some of which defended her and some of which accused her of being entitled. How would this all be resolved? On the Today Show, of course, where Suzy Lee Weiss appeared earlier this morning to defend her name.

If you haven’t been following the kerfuffle, this ought to catch you up.

Visit NBCNews.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

To (All) the Colleges That Rejected Me [WSJ]

CygnusA81 says:

Well she did tell the truth, but she is also whiny self-entitled narcissistic brat.

Yeah, for a 17 year you do seem very bright and intelligent.

But guess what honey, basically everyone who applies to the schools you got rejected from are the same as you, bright and intelligent. Also, as a white Jewish girl, its harder for you to get into these schools since as East Asians can attest, Jews and East Asians are over achievers to begin with and Ivies do ‘check’ their diversity block whether you like it or not.

Now I agree with Little Suzy on one thing. All that resume paddling is crap, and most students do it because they have to do it, to make the admissions happy. And yeah, if you had two Moms, I’m sure you would have gotten in. This what academy ‘stands’ for these days. It’s very eugenic, disgusting, I know, but it is what it is.

Moshan says:

Right, except that as a Jewish white girl she’s actually statistically far more likely to be accepted than a non-Jewish white girl.

As for overachivement: yes, but not as it used to be. The biggest losers in today’s Ivy league are rural (but smart) WASPs as well as East Asians.

Unz points out that Jews were early critics of the so-called ‘holistic approach’ that eschews pure meritocracy and uses vague phrases such as ‘leadership’. And we were right. Once the Ivies introduced those opaque terms, Jewish enrollment fell.

Well, things haven’t changed much. Those same terms are thrown around to hide the fact that there are strict racial quotas at the Ivy League. Jews stil have quotas but Unz makes the point that it is today a positive quota, i.e. Jews get into the Ivies at a disproportinate rate which isn’t reflected in our kids SAT scores. The main victims of this is bright Asians but also poor, rural WASPs.

But the main point is that the Ivy League has never been about pure meritocracy. It used to be class and race, now it’s more about race.
    Going on pure SAT scores isn’t a perfect method but the fact that Harvard rejects over half the applicants with a perfect SAT score is a alarming sign that all is not well either there or at other Ivy schools.

AV714 says:

This is perfect. I’ve had this conversation too many times. To say that the college admissions process has left me disillusioned and bitter is an understatement. I do think high schools, parents, television, puts out this notion that anyone with enough pluck and effort can get into (and go to) any school they want. No one tells you that working hard is a poor substitute for living next door to Joe Biden, or living an authentically Dickensian childhood. There are certain things that go into admissions that are so beyond the control of the student, and yet no one’s telling you that when they scam you into applying (Harvard gets 75 bucks out of my bright middle-class suburban optimism, which I’m sure is being put to good use funding the Harvard Admissions office fancy-pen fund). College admissions in the United States is presented as this American dream, apex of individual achievement thing that probably hasn’t existed for over thirty years. And don’t get me started on paying for the darned thing! I couldn’t be happier with the (state) University I attend now, but I wish the process was presented more honestly. Otherwise, I would have been able to save myself a lot of time, money, and emotional energy. Kudos for Suzy Weiss doing something productive with her rage. I think the article is funny and honest, and hope that she keeps writing.

Moshan says:

I think the nerve she touched is that Ivy league admissions is such a charade these days. As she says: a lot of resume patting going on, a of posing fakery á la “heal the world”.

There are volunteers in Africa who really burn with a passion for what they are doing. But many others are there for the CV. The fact that Sen. Warren claimed she was a “minority” with 1/32 Cherokee heritage shows just how absurd the situation has become.

I’m sure a number of Irish-Americans will declare themselves an oppressed minority soon, give examples that are 100 years old and claim that “those damn anglos have systematically and forcefully assimilated us and denied us our own culture”. Then, we’ll see Italian-Americans, Swedish-Americans and so on.

I wouldn’t be surprised if some people started to pretend to be gay and similar stunts to improve their chances. There’s a cure to all of this: meritocracy.

JS310 says:

@AV: Why are you disillusioned? What illusion were you clinging to in the first place? No school makes the claims that you’re ascribing to them, and every highly selective school makes it _very_ clear that they accept students on all sorts of subjective criteria. They’re actually very clear about it. And when admission rates are below 10%, you don’t have to get a 2400 on the SAT to do the math: NOT everyone is going to get in. Any parents or teachers who say so are being misleading.

“College admissions in the United States is presented as this American dream, apex of individual achievement.” I think this is true of college admissions. But it’s not true of any _single_ college. There are hundreds of good colleges to choose from, and to dwell on particular rejections undermines the fact that a smart, ambitious student–even one as obnoxious as Suzy Weiss–will be able to get a great education.

AV714 says:

I am disillusioned because the fact that I would ultimately not have control over the reason rejection was never conveyed to may. As a student, you’re made to believe that you’ll be judged on achievement, both academic and otherwise. I can join clubs, I can study and do well, but nothing I can do as a student will change my race and socio-economic status. And while not everyone can get in, we’re the only country that plays this game where being academically qualified is not only insufficient, but almost unimportant.

Believe me, I’ve moved forward since my college application debacle two years ago, and I do believe I’m receiving a quality education. But I am not attending an Ivy League, and anyone who knows only the school I attend will likely make assumptions about how hard I’ve worked and my academic ability. I attend a public institution in a state famous for it’s private universities, which puts me at a huge disadvantage when it comes to future fellowship applications and internships, because in these things, a brand name university is important. And it has nothing to do with my academic work, but rather because I am neither wealthy enough nor diverse enough for those schools.

JS310 says:

@AV, there are a great many things that will affect your life over which you have no control. That’s true of most things, starting with your choice of parents.

As for the claims that “As a student, you’re made to believe that you’ll be judged on achievement, both academic and otherwise.” First, I’d say that it’s the fault of adults for allowing this sort of idealism — as opposed to pragmatic realism — to run rampant. Second, how do you know that you weren’t judged according to these standards? How do you know that the vast majority of applicants chosen ahead of you weren’t better students and/or more interesting people? I’m not saying that you’re not interesting or smart. I’m just saying that there are a great many students out there, and everything is relative.

I assure you: if you want those jobs and internships, if you work hard, present yourself well, and seek the education you deserve, then you’ll land them.

AV714 says:

And you have just parroted to me the same thing that you criticize parents for reciting. “If you work hard, present yourself well, and seek the education you deserve, then you’ll land them.” The only difference is that you’re telling me this nonsense in the realm of job applications rather than those for college, which if anything, are even more subjective and based on even more subjective criteria. In the work force, it’s who you know. For a Rhodes Scholarship, it’s where you’ve gone. The whole Elizabeth Warren’s heritage thing just proves that this hiring for “diversity” doesn’t go away once you’re applying for a job. How is my statement about being judged on achievement any different from yours?

JS310 says:

That’s a fair response, and I realize that my response was incomplete. I did not mean to spout bromides.

You were lamenting being resigned to an “inferior” school. My point is that even an “inferior” school offers plenty of opportunities for ambitious students. Sure, you might get passed by in some instances. If you’re certain that something is a lost cause, then don’t waste your time on it. But there are a lot of great jobs out there in this world, and they’re not all reserved for Ivy Leaguers. With that said, there’s no reason why a good student from an “inferior” school can’t beat out some Ivy League idiot.

Moreover, what’s your alternative? Are you going to not work hard? Are you going to temper your ambitions? Are you going to succumb to slovenliness?

You’ve made it clear that you’re not going to get jobs through connections or ethnicity. So be it. Then you _are_ going to have to get jobs through hard work, intellect, and networking. Lamentation plays no role in any of that.

So, no, I don’t want to present some rosy, unrealistic notion of jobs, school, or hard work. But you’re wrong if you think that achievement isn’t a huge component of any hiring process.

And, come on, Elizabeth Warren? For every Elizabeth Warren (whom you can judge on her intrinsic merits as well as on her claimed ethnicity, if you like), there are hundreds of white guys out there who still do just fine.

mouskatel says:

For all your whining, once you get out in the world, you’ll realize how silly all of your obsessing about college is. Seriously- after your first job, no one gives a crap where you went to college, what your grades were and what your extracurriculars were.There’s a whole wide world out there. Take a breath and calm down.

Catherine Lemus says:

Suzy’s obviously academically intelligent and she’s qualified for an Ivy on the numbers aspect (her GPA), but that’s not all the counts. She has no emotional intelligence, depth or compassion. I have a feeling that her essay and the way she filled out her app (a hidden personality test), is what threw her out of the game. By far, whites are the majority at all Ivy Leagues; There’s only a small # of Hispanics, Native Americans, Pac Islanders, Blacks, etc. The fact is, Suzy is really competing w/ other white kids, who, frankly, did a better job than she did and she’s blaming the 15 people of color who got in. She’s very Type-A and blatantly cold and insincere, so I know it showed in her essay. Admissions counselors are trained to read between the lines and pick the cream of the crop, which Suzy is not. It’s not all about grades. You’ve got to have grades and be dynamic. Her world view is sour and filled with negativity and cynicism (believes people who volunteer or want to help people only want to do it for their personal benefit) – Who would want her on their campus (eew)? This whole idea of blaming “diversity” applicants because you suck is pathetic.

Moshan says:

No, you’re wrong. If Ivies had no quotas, they’d have about 65% WASPs, 7-8% Jews, 30% Asians and the rest would be NAMs(non-Asian minorities).

She’s a smart kid. End of story. She probably doesn’t have the scores to get into Yale or Harvard if it was a pure meritocracy but getting denied by Vanderbilt? Really? That score should get her in. Besides, how do you know that the diversity candidates are better people? They’re just racially non-white, that’s nothing about morality.

Catherine Lemus says:

i’m not saying that racially non-whites are better people. Every ethnic group has good and bad. What I am saying is that Suzy’s shallow attitude came off in her essay. She’s got a bad attitude and it’s blaring. Her dad said today she wrote her essay on a (I’m assuming hypothetical) story about an asthmatic girl who beat her in a track race, even having to stop to use her inhaler, etc. This is why she got rejected. Suzy has the numbers, but her “personality”, the type of person she is, is evaluated in the essay. She showed no depth, no compassion on her essay. Her essay might get her that dream job on 30 Rock (and probably will bc she is good writer), but it got her cut from being accepted to her dream school. Schools want to see your humanity, your potential as a human being in the future, your quality of compassion, as well as your hard number scores. You need to be stellar ON ALL LEVELS of the application process and she tanked on her lame, shallow essay. If anything, this might teach young Suzy a valuable lesson in life that she can grow from. It’s not just about what’s on paper, it’s about the type of person you are. Right now she’s a spoiled teen who, hopefully, will grow up to be an amazing woman.

Austin says:

lesson learned for Suzy just lie and say what people want you to. Say whatever makes you look good no matter if it is true or not

You do know your numbers exceeded 100%…….. by the way, are Irish Catholics now WASPS? I could never quite say myself

Bryony says:

You’ve just said that an 18-year-old girl has no emotional intelligence, depth, or compassion, and that she’s blatantly cold and sincere, and that her worldview is sour and filled with negativity and cynicism. You’ve never met her.

Just thought I’d point that out.

CygnusA81 says:

Everyone should read this piece from Commentary on Suzy Weiss problem. I think it cuts right to chase.

Oh btw, Adam, instead of blog roll bottom feeder and sewer diving mondoweiss, why don’t you blog roll Commentary Magazine instead? Unlike the former, the latter actually has insightful commentary and critical thinking.

delijdewolfe says:

I’ve read the article. It didn’t cut to the chase. It claimed that Suzy’s article wasn’t an exaggeration when, in fact, that is what satire is – an exaggeration. Yet what is interesting about Suzy’s story is that it is rather disingenuous.

Suzy’s essay wasn’t so much a satire piece as it was an appeal to spite and an appeal to pity. She railed at the policies of the schools (which is fine) but went on to stereo-type and question the merits of the students themselves. As if they earned acceptance by faking it.

Yet, the most telling (if not highly ironic) factor in this story is that Suzy’s sister (a former WSJ op-ed editor) encouraged her to write it after Suzy wasn’t accepted (only 7% of 26,000 applicants made it) and then pulled strings at the WSJ in order to have Suzy’s “satire” piece published, which helped her land acceptance to several top 10’s.

The fact that she got in on her sisters merits shows that she isn’t as vanilla as she would like to claim. In her article she mockingly states:

“as long as you’re using someone else’s misfortunes to try to propel yourself into the Ivy League, you’re golden”

yet she used her sisters credentials (and fortunes) as a launching pad to seek a top 10 university (which she got). So how is this any different from what she railed against?

Satire is a reflection of honest observation. Her article and motives were disingenuous, insulting to her peers, and rather insincere.

CygnusA81 says:

If you read my other comment, I did mention that her essay came off as self-entitled. But reading the Commentary Piece, they also mention that these elite universities also need to fill non-academic slots as well. For example if you are a decent football or basketball player you have very good grades but not top 1% grades your chances of getting into an elite college rises dramatically. These colleges don’t tell kids that.

But yeah, its highly ironic that she uses her connections to get her essay posted in a major national newspaper while complaining about how unfair it was that she didn’t into a super-elite school and has to go the University of Michigan. It is the worlds tiniest violin moment.

But schools -do- tell kids that. They tell everyone that. Go to Yale’s Admissions site, they are very upfront about the admissions process and a student’s real chances of getting in. (If Miss Weiss had read it she probably wouldn’t have been so surprised that she wasn’t accepted considering that her GPA and test scores put her somewhere in the bottom 20% or so of students applying to Yale.) Test scores are only part of what they look for in a successful candidate. Being extraordinary in some other way can also get you a seat at the table. But not being extraordinary in -any- way (and keep in mind that the threshold for extraordinary here is standing out from the pool of 32,000 already extraordinary Yale applicants; not standing out from your average high school students) will get you a rejection letter for sure.

Angela says:

She is a classic narcissist. It’s everyone’s fault but hers, and someone coming out of the closet is said in the same breath as fake charities. She gets published because of the work her sister did to get a job, but makes no mention of it.

scallywag says:

Yet perhaps the biggest irony in Weiss’ case is that although she may have failed to have landed a slot with an ivy league institution her gumption to do something that most candidates would never have thought to do (the very same qualities that ivy league institutions make a point of looking for) helped her gain entry into Pennsylvania State, Indiana, Michigan and Wisconsin—not Ivy Leagues but still prestigious. That plus
receiving job and internship offers.

Nevertheless her letter is a disquieting reflection on the state of affairs of what it actually takes to get ahead in America these days…

Pro-tip: Don’t write racist sounding public letters.

Imran Yunis says:

How is a 4.5 GPA possible? It’s a 4.0 scale…and the SAT is out of 1600…how did she get a 2125? Maybe she didn’t get in because she lied about her scores.

JaneDoesky says:

The SAT is out of 2400 and has been for 6 years. GPA’s can be over 4.0 if a student earns grades of A+, which = more than 4.0 (depending on the school).
    You might not like her article, but she didn’t lie. Her stats are very typical of high-achieving students.

I applaud this more heavily than I can describe in writing. I’m really happy with my choice of schools, especially after meeting some folks from my first choice (I now go to their main rival, their loss). I don’t think college applications should be judged on anything but brains. If your life is so perfect, you have time for volunteering and sports and expensive SAT prep, then you’re clearly abnormal. Us socially awkward, hormonal nightmare, watches anime and spends too much time on the net people (we are speaking of high school kids here, which I used to be) are just as bloody smart as everyone else. We just aren’t sporty and would prefer to be left to our books in peace, rather than deal with others’ bullshit

My heart goes out to the trials and tribulations faced by this straight white young woman in the 21st century. Sadly, being straight and white and having good grades no longer entitles you to an ivy-league education. What an unfortunate commentary on our society when college admissions officers consider diversity, initiative and entrepreneurship in evaluating candidates instead of just numerical qualifications. [Note to Suzy: This is what satire actually looks like].

Suzy feels “like in this day and age we’re getting judged on things we cannot control as opposed to things we can.” She says this as if in the past when women and ethnic minorities were applying to colleges, they weren’t being denied based on their immutable characteristics. Suzy, there has never been a time in history where “things we cannot control” have not been factored into the admissions calculus.

But honestly, based on the content of her article, Suzy’s sense of entitlement and complacency is what makes her a non-diverse candidate, not the color of her skin. Perhaps if, instead of watching The Real Housewives, she had elected to engage herself in her community, she would be a more dynamic candidate for admissions officers. In the meantime, I hope that someday she will confront hardships akin to those experienced by minority and LGBT youth so she won’t be so cavalier about the “benefits” of their status.

Bryony says:

I really don’t think it’s a matter of entitlement. I’ve noticed that it’s only people well past their college days who have problems with this article. She was quite right when she said that everyone her age found the article funny. That’s because it is. Nobody who went to college before 2005 or so ever had to deal with the things that today’s high school students are dealing with. It’s not about being passionate about something and working hard anymore (if it ever was.) It’s about appearing a certain way rather than being a certain way. Having two moms or a darker skin color certainly helps (although of course there’s no guaranteed admission for them, either.)

Suzy isn’t saying that she SHOULD get into college just because she should. She’s lived a merciless existence for four years, one that has little regard for what you actually want to be doing with your time, or what you want to be learning, or who you want to be helping. Every day is scheduled from dawn until dusk, and It’s very like being a prisoner, I think. Except with less freedom.

Doing all that, and suffering all that, for years on end, only to have your application denied, sucks. It just sucks.

I’m in college, and I thought her letter was rather petty. Well-written, to be sure, but petty. Colleges have been saying for ages is not just about your grades and SAT scores, it’s about what you contribute to your community. Those colleges that rejected her receive tens of thousands of applications with better test scores, and they’re going to choose the ones that will make an impact on campus in some way. The grades and SAT scores are just an often unreliable) indicator of how the student will handle themselves academically. There is also a bit of luck involved as well. This girl just didn’t want to look at all the factors. While rejection letters sting, it’s not right to blame it on the admissions officers, that’s extremely juvenile.

shelbypanayotou says:

my friend’s mom makes $80 an hour on the computer. She has been laid off for nine months but last month her paycheck was $12005 just working on the computer for a few hours. Read more on  Fab99.c­om

Austin says:

My cousin who applied last year for college and scholarships bemoaned about how little was offered to a white Protestant girl. So I think many students have noticed this issue.

She benefited from nothing, other than being wicked smart. And by the way, I am a WASP who has played golf with the kind of pricks who would consider her a “minority” and hit the roof if she dared date one of their sons.

How is she smart? Her SAT scores are unremarkable and the letter seems to have been written by someone socially retarded, despite her ex post facto wails that it is satire.

InvestMattA says:

No – what you mean to say is that merit no longer qualifies you for an Ivy League education. Instead, skin color, sexual orientation, etc. do. Wealthy white people are apparently undeserving of sympathy. Jealous, unqualified minorities who are undeserving of pretty much anything are going to be America’s undoing. They do not understand that America was built by white people. Was made great by mostly white people. Not by Mexican peasants and certainly not by Obama’s sons.

Angela says:

No. America was built by slaves. Black people, free labor, which increased goods at little cost to be shipped and sold to Europe.

InvestMattA says:

Keep believing that. While the South was certainly helped by slave labor for a short period of time (30 years or so), the industrial North was far, far, far more responsible for America’s lasting economic growth during that period. Your comment is laughable. Slavery was America’s initial sin. Had American southerners picked their own d*mn cotton, we would be funding trips to the moon instead of having to support a criminal, black welfare population that isn’t qualified to do anything.

toddges says:

I should also add that slavery in America was all white (primarily Irish) for it’s first 400 years in practice here.

stumpwhistle says:

Suzy: HUJI (Hebrew University of Jerusalem) or TAU (Tel Aviv University)… or if Mom & Dad can afford it – IDC Herzliya…

Or better yet, a nice city in the Midwest where she can live and work anywhere, and she can experience whatever hatred is left by being excluded from country clubs instead of being hunted down and marked for death simply for being Jewish. She’s 18. Let her grow old!

toddges says:

You ever wonder why the struggling Midwestern farmers might feel that way about the Wall Street Jewish elite?
      Oh right; their “country clubs”, where they can pretend they are still more wealthy than you.

GloRay says:

What if it’s actually worse than all of this?
I suggest that the true value of a college degree lies in who gets it, and from where; NOT in what was accomplished or learned during the college years. In other words, it’s still a game, and mostly always has been.
I further suggest that college is NOT for everyone, and should never have been; many of us would have done better with trade schools or apprenticeships.
But that’s not a terribly “Jewish” approach, or even a “cool” one these days.
No matter.
Mostly for bragging rights, and to simply finished what I started (since I can’t afford grad school and see no practical reason to go), I finished my B. A. twenty years after I graduated from high school. During that time I worked as a mechanic to help pay the bills.
I did not sell my mechanic’s tools when I graduated. In the decade since I finished college my job prospects have not grealy improved, nor has my income level.

I know I will need my tools — and the skills that go with them — to help pay the bills for a long time to come.
My degree changes NOTHING in that regard.
If I had children today I would tell them that unless they’re going to be a doctor, lawyer or other successful white-collar professional, college is probably a waste of time.
I am glad I don’t have to shepherd teenagers through the B. S. process of college applications today.

Funny no one (including herself) has considered Hebrew University in Jerusalem or Tel Aviv University (or any of the other universities in Israel) All high level places, and as an olah, inexpensive. Come on lil Suzy. Consider it.

Rob Hunt says:

I have a GPA of 4.5 and a 2120 on the SATs (quite a coincidence, but I’m going to retake it later). Being honest with myself, 2120 is a shitty score if you’re looking at Ivy League schools. My parents and most of my friends have said that 2250 is the minimum for them to even take you seriously unless you’re a non-Asian minority. Her extracurriculars are also nothing spectacular so she shouldn’t have been surprised she got rejected. One last thing, her school, Taylor Allderdice, is not that good (coming from a Pittsburgh native).

Rob Hunt says:

Just to clarify, SAT scores aren’t everything. I know at least two people with 2350s or up who got rejected from Ivy Leagues

oaklandj says:

She might be a bit bitter, but that sometimes fuels the best satire. I haven’t read her op-ed, but suspect she could be a successful writer. She even shakes off the criticism well.

So blatant racism is OK if you claim afterwards it was satire?

Austin says:

I have to say it is about time programs like affirmative action be done away with. Racism is a minority view it is 2013 in America such things are no longer necessary. I’m not saying that is why she was rejected I’m just speaking in general college admission officials are not very likely to be racists. You know if we want equality everyone should be treated equally no discrimination of a group no benefiting a group because of one characteristic.

pecanpicker says:

Work experience as a U.S. Senate page? I would have guessed Eric Cantor but he’s a congressman.

pecanpicker says:

She could always join the Mormons and move to Utah. They let a woman pray in Confernce today. Women can wear pantsuits to church now and less of them are moving to Afghanistan for more equal rights.

BTW, Marie Osmond held a book signing at the downtown church owned book store. She had 8 kids, one died from an OD and another is gay.

rickbarron says:

Dear Suzy,

I have read your open letter to the
colleges that rejected you. I have analyzed the responses, both the
positive and the negative. After mulling over my own opinion on your
stance its clear to me that satire or not your words stem from a deep
bitterness. A bitterness that plagues many high school students who
have not only failed to get into the college of their dreams, but
have also failed to learn humbleness, humility, and the often
disappointing fact that life is not a test you can simply study hard
for and expect to pass. It takes guts, it takes grit, it takes a do
WHATEVER it takes mentality.

The truth is you were never lied to.
The best thing you can do is “be yourself”. The problem for you
is that at this point in your life “Suzy Lee Weiss” simply isn’t
Ivy League material. I commend you on your 4.5 GPA and your 2120 SAT
scores. Those accomplishments stand as concrete proof to your
academic prowess and ability to learn at a higher level. For most
colleges, those credentials would make you an ideal candidate for
acceptance. But Ivy League schools are not most colleges. You are
competing against a pool of thousands of prospective students who all
have those same credentials. So yes you do need something to make you
unique so you aren’t just another “saltine cracker” (to steal
your witty phrasing). To some degree I have to agree with you, being
a minority or spending your vacations helping African orphans is
enough to be awarded acceptance. Is it fair? Probably not, because
not all of us are born with two moms, or the the resources necessary
to attend prestigious private schools and participate in application
padding programs. So what can you do? Easy, you play the system. Like
it or not Suzy being a nice girl and doing your homework doesn’t
guarantee you anything in life. You have to be creative and you have
to be a survivor. How do I know? Because I am just like you in that
on the surface I am just another saltine–white and plain. So then,
how did I get accepted into Cornell University with a lower GPA
(4.33) and SAT scores (2040) then you? I followed the necessary
“business model” as best I could to get into college, but I did
it way more efficiently then you did.

I haven’t asked my parents for help
with my homework since third grade. I learned independence at an
early age. So don’t blame your parents for your lack of ability. I
didn’t take high school seriously at all because it shouldn’t be. I
was the kid who did his homework five minutes before it was due.
Never studied for tests and got A’s on every one. Sometimes I
cheated, sometimes I just knew the answers. I never did any volunteer
work. And I only seriously involved myself in extra-curricular
activities my senior year for the sole purpose of bolstering my
applications. I wrote my supplemental application essays the night
they were due. I finished my Cornell essay 3 minutes before the
electronic deadline on the common app website. How could all this add
up to an acceptance when it appears like a recipe for disaster?
Because in the end, admissions officers only see what’s right in
front of them. Your application and your essays, maybe an interview.
The fact is, I put in less work then you did and yet I still came out
on top. Somehow I choose the right words in my essays, said the right
things in my interview, and still had enough accolades to get the job
done. And I did it all well spending my entire senior addicted to
prescription painkillers. No help needed, no mommy and daddy
proofreading, no professional tutors just me and my own devices. My
talent, my character, my special taste that was different from the
average applicant.

I know it’s probably tough to swallow
but its just another lesson to be learned in life. A win is a win. I
know that I am Ivy league material though and I can prove it with my
real world experiences. I am not talking about competitive
internships or some selfless charity I created in my free time. I am
talking about the challenge I was faced with this year during my
winter break from college. At a time when my families financial
struggles were so great that when the refrigerator got barren I was
told by my mother that “we didn’t have enough money for groceries”.
A time when I spent my fall semester resorting to stealing groceries
just so I would have something to eat. I found out my mother had
started a private bank account, and she was hoarding her pay checks
for herself. Naturally, I confronted her about this unbelievable
behavior and in return I received a barrage of fists to my face. I
stood there and took punch after punch from my own mother for trying
to bring justice and order to my family. My mom was arrested that
night and hasn’t spoken to me or returned home since. I was left to
take care of my family. My three younger siblings and my father, a
retired police officer who worked for 35 years and has two knee
replacements an impending hip replacement and the inability to take
care of his kids by himself to show for it.

So I quit school and here I am.
Raising 3 kids, working 50 hours a week, and putting all of my
ambitions and dreams on the back burner to help my loved ones. If
that isn’t character I don’t know what is. I ask for no reward, no
recognition, not even appreciation. I do this all day in and day
out–battling against phone threats from my mom’s side of the family,
my younger brother’s multiple suicide scares and attempts to run away
from home amidst all the chaos because if I won’t do it nobody else
will. So think about the fact that your crying to your mom because
you didn’t get into your precious little schools and maybe you’ll see
where you fell short. Ivy league schools are for exceptional people
in mind and merit and those who are accepted all exhibit those
qualities. You need to break out of the sheltered world you live and
realize the darkness that this world contains. A darkness you will
likely t face one day. Because if your not ready for it, like you
weren’t ready to hear that you weren’t Ivy league quality then it
will eat you alive.

InvestMattA says:

In what used to be America, bright and funny girls like Suzy Lee were celebrated. But now that the US is a Balkan misery, undeserving minorities take seriously any satire that pokes fun at the absolute fact that most of them are not qualified to do much of anything. Suzy Lee has the type of spirit and sense of humor that the old America – the great America – admired

alex says:

…Balkan? I seriously doubt being too nice to ethnic minorities was a contributing factor in that breakup.

Carolyn says:

Hey Suzy, I’m a white, middle class girl, and I’m going to Harvard next year. I feel very insulted that you would even dare disregard the dedication and efforts of those accepted into the Ivy League schools. Pretty sure you were rejected for a reason, and if your applications reflect your entitled attitude, I think that reason is obvious.

Gunrunner1 says:

She got her licks in, like a good Harrad. Well done on the letter, but why not just talk about “relatives who were in the Holoca$t”. That always helps and there is no business like shoah business!

toddges says:

Yeah. I have to wonder if even all the “rejections” she claims were part of that shoah business; paving way for her shake-my-butt/prove-my-privilege letter.

Angela says:

“In this day and age we are being judged on things we cannot control.” Hello, white girl, welcome to the world of well… everyone. Everyday my black a**, has to deal with “things I can’t control.” Oh my GAWD!!

I HATE people like you. You believe the sole reason you did not recieve admission to a college is due to diversity. No, the reason is beacuse you wrote yourself, a stuck up, whiney, teenage bitch. Not only did you banter against same-sex marriage, you also attacked the fact that people go to Africa as a way to earn some sort of “credit” towards colleges. That is the most obnoxious, disrespectful behaviour i have ever witnessed. You applied to college for a name, not for academics.

Suzy Lee Weiss Fires Back on the Today Show

Writer of the college rejection paean to end all paeans responds to critics

Wolf Blitzer Explores His Jewish Roots

By David Meir Grossman — CNN host visits Yad Vashem and Auschwitz for the network’s ‘Roots’ series