AIPAC Member Sanctions D.C. Waitress

Wearing a Code Pink shirt will only get you 10%

Busboys and Poets.(Flickr)

It may not have been a plenary session topic, but combatting the delegitimization of Israel has long been a hobbyhorse of those who attended the AIPAC conference in Washington, D.C. earlier this week.

Apparently, the battle spilled over from the conference center floor into the surrounding areas, including the local institution Busboys & Poets. From the DCist:

After picking up a customer’s check, Nuria Kalifa opened the billfold to find a 10 percent gratuity instead of the usual 15 percent, accompanied by a note reading that the short shrift was because of her T-shirt decrying Israel’s occupation of Palestinian territories. Kalifa-Jackson had been wearing a black shirt branded with the phrase “Occupation isn’t pretty,” a reference to the Israeli presence in the West Bank and Gaza.

Clearly, the shirt did not sit well on the customer, who wrote, “Displaying your political beliefs on your shirt cost you a % of your tip.” The customer also left a brochure obtained from the American Israel Public Affairs Committee, which yesterday held its annual policy conference at the Walter E. Washington Convention Center.

Another group of diners also reportedly complained about the server’s shirt to the manager, who defended his employee’s right to wear political clothing–a practice encouraged by the left-leaning haunt.

I spoke to Joseph Saka, who attended the AIPAC Conference and lives two blocks away from the restaurant, and asked him his thoughts about the controversy.

“I won’t be returning to Busboys & Poets, mostly because the food is crap, but also because I don’t like their politics.”

Frankly, I’m surprised they didn’t stiff her entirely.

D.C. Server Receives Bad Tip Over T-Shirt Critical of Israel [DCist]

Ephraim_K says:

Clearly this guy never had the grilled brie panini.

That’s just a no-no. Whenever I see workers at stores or restaurants acting as billboards for some political agenda I complain. Not because I personally disagree with the message but because it’s not professional. Managers that allow such activism in the workplace deserve to slowly see theirs customers disappear.

Zombie Mohammed says:

Those are Jews for you. Insult them to their face, and they – oooohhh – take off a % from the tip.

Try wearing a yarmulka in Deerborn and you’d be ritually slaughtered. Trying wearing an anti-Shari’ah T-shirt in San Francisco and you’ll be knifed to death. Go to Gaza wearing tzitzis and your mutilated corpse will be paraded through the streets.

But wear a T-shirt insulting the Jews? You lose a few pennies from your tip. Jews allow themselves to be treated like dirt, and that’s why the Left/Mohammedan/Nazis treat them like dirt.

oaklandj says:

When does your first apocalyptic thriller come out? You certainly have a talent for hyperbole.

I’m sorry to say that there is some truth in the Zombie’s words, and it should be a reminder to all.

If you’re a woman or a girl try walking in Mea Sharim or Williamsburg wearing a skirt and you’ll be lucky if those bearded penguins who never bathe only spit at you. Try driving on Shabbas and you’ll get rocks thrown at your car if not your head. If you think a t-shirt objecting to Israel’s occupation of Palestinian land is an insult to Jews, so be it. Israel’s stealth of Palestinian land is an affront to human decency, as, to judge from your comments, are you.

Zombie Mohammed says:

I appreciate your Leftist response.

Good point. As you accurately describe, the violent Leftists of Neturei Karta are welcomed as dignitaries in Tehran. They are celebrated at the U.N. The “Palestinians” often talk about NOT genociding their Leftist allies in NK.

Why? Because contrary to the Jews, the Neturei Karta use Quran-style violence against those who disrespect them. Jews can learn a lot from NK and the “Palestinians” about what kind of behavior earns the world’s respect.

Thank you for your support, Jeff!

CVBruce says:

Of course, one wonders why, if the person was offended by the message on the t-shirt, they didn’t just leave without ordering.

it’s cool with me that some restaurants choose to have a lefty vibe/brand and allow their employees to wear political shirts, and it’s also cool with me that some people may not appreciate the political message and choose not to tip or eat there again. This is a non-issue.

Off with the shirt!!!! Unless she is displaying the politics of the store her opinions have no voice in this venue. On her own time yes… And if I know as a patron of the store this is their opinion I will not be supporting them. If I were in a restaurant and a server showed wearing this shirt I would have walked out and let it be known why. I had stayed she would not have received a red cent!

CygnusA81 says:

Oh yeah. FYI. If you support Israel, then you should never go to this place. The guy who owns the restaurant is a big Code Pink booster and their like-minded allies. Save yourself the blood pressure increase. There are plenty of other good restaurants in and around 14th St and U.

NepotismIsDomesticTerrorism says:

We, in AIPAC, must teach them the proper obedience.

As Michael Jordan observed, Republicans buy sneakers too. Politics and business are a bad mix – why limit your customer base?

I’m surprised as well!

herbcaen says:

I wouldnt have given her a tip, and I would not go to this place at all.Let the Iranians subsidize this place. For a 15% tip, she would have to give the Iranians and Saudis a lot more services than for an AIPAC member

I agree, given their political feelings, the AIPACers should not have a left a tip at all. But they darn sure should have defended her right to wear that shirt! Here they are in DC petitioning Congress for their cause (to the nth degree I might add), and they are offended because someone else wants to display their political views (given that management has no objection)? The AIPAC members have every right to withhold a gratuity, but to object to her right to wear the shirt. A bit of hypocrisy, I suggest.

It is totally

Raffikki Maia says:

I don’t agree with AIPAC and they don’t speak for me but I am still very offended. Of all the causes on this planet, a non existent one is the one this woman chooses. The Armenian genocide not recognized by the US? Nah…… the fact that 70,000 Syrians dead and million displaced by MUSLIMS……..not an issue, oh and the hangings in Iran, the lack or rights for women in Saudi……. it’s politically incorrect to address those. Never mind say, female genital mutilation. No, this ignoramus chooses something that most likely employs some Palestinians, where citizens of Israel have a right to vote, no matter their religion, where their elected congressional representative can spew anti-Semitic and anti-Israel stupidities and not worry about being hauled of to be tortured. But hey, “apartheid” was just like this right?! As if this woman is old enough to know anything about the real apartheid. No wait, most likely she is too high on her horse to take the time to research the issue.

Jock Stein says:

Dry your eyes out, like you give a damn about those you mentioned above. At least admit what your real agenda is instead of hiding behind your ‘I care about dead Syrian women’ mask.

Guest says:

This is why I prefer topless bars

Now we know why so many men prefer topless bars.

Be a Mensch. Support Tablet.

AIPAC Member Sanctions D.C. Waitress

Wearing a Code Pink shirt will only get you 10%

Manhattan’s Biggest Menorah Mystery, Solved

By Stephanie Butnick — The story behind the massive Hanukkiah atop a Fifth Avenue building