Sundown: No Deal Arrives on Fiscal Crisis
Plus Jacob Silverman on history books as holiday movies
• As the weekend arrives, a deal on the fiscal crisis has yet to be reached. [NYT]
• Movies based on history books have quickly become the public record. Jacob Silverman writes on the phenomenon for Jewcy. [Jewcy]
• Just in time for the end of the year blitz, the Washington Post has five myths about charitable giving. [WaPo]
• Sam Freedman writes on the absence of humanists and ‘nones’ in the wake of the Newtown massacre, when a real opportunity was missed. [NYT]
• Hendrik Hertzberg writes on the Israeli response to the NRA claim that the U.S. should emulate Israel’s gun program. [TNY]
Daily rate: $2
Monthly rate: $18
Yearly rate: $180
WAIT, WHY DO I HAVE TO PAY TO COMMENT?
Tablet is committed to bringing you the best, smartest, most enlightening and entertaining reporting and writing on Jewish life, all free of charge. We take pride in our community of readers, and are thrilled that you choose to engage with us in a way that is both thoughtful and thought-provoking. But the Internet, for all of its wonders, poses challenges to civilized and constructive discussion, allowing vocal—and, often, anonymous—minorities to drag it down with invective (and worse). Starting today, then, we are asking people who'd like to post comments on the site to pay a nominal fee—less a paywall than a gesture of your own commitment to the cause of great conversation. All proceeds go to helping us bring you the ambitious journalism that brought you here in the first place.
I NEED TO BE HEARD! BUT I DONT WANT TO PAY.
Readers can still interact with us free of charge via Facebook, Twitter, and our other social media channels, or write to us at email@example.com. Each week, we’ll select the best letters and publish them in a new letters to the editor feature on the Scroll.
We hope this new largely symbolic measure will help us create a more pleasant and cultivated environment for all of our readers, and, as always, we thank you deeply for your support.