Daybreak: All Debate, All the Time
Plus Gaza gets its first visiting head of state since Hamas takeover
• A round-up of different responses and reactions to the last presidential debate. [WaPo]
• Nathan Thrall looks at the candidates’ statements on Israel. [NYT]
• An Israeli soldier was seriously injured in a blast that took place on the Gaza border. [JTA]
• Sheikh Hamad bin Khalifa Al Thani, the ruler of Qatar, received a warm reception in Gaza, where he brought $400 million of aid for Gaza’s development. He was the first head of state to visit Gaza since Hamas took over. [Times of Israel]
• Slate looks at the 40th anniversary of the iconic kids’ album “Free to Be You and Me” [Slate]
Daily rate: $2
Monthly rate: $18
Yearly rate: $180
WAIT, WHY DO I HAVE TO PAY TO COMMENT?
Tablet is committed to bringing you the best, smartest, most enlightening and entertaining reporting and writing on Jewish life, all free of charge. We take pride in our community of readers, and are thrilled that you choose to engage with us in a way that is both thoughtful and thought-provoking. But the Internet, for all of its wonders, poses challenges to civilized and constructive discussion, allowing vocal—and, often, anonymous—minorities to drag it down with invective (and worse). Starting today, then, we are asking people who'd like to post comments on the site to pay a nominal fee—less a paywall than a gesture of your own commitment to the cause of great conversation. All proceeds go to helping us bring you the ambitious journalism that brought you here in the first place.
I NEED TO BE HEARD! BUT I DONT WANT TO PAY.
Readers can still interact with us free of charge via Facebook, Twitter, and our other social media channels, or write to us at email@example.com. Each week, we’ll select the best letters and publish them in a new letters to the editor feature on the Scroll.
We hope this new largely symbolic measure will help us create a more pleasant and cultivated environment for all of our readers, and, as always, we thank you deeply for your support.