Sundown: Bibi Ad Airs in Florida, But…
Plus AIPAC names new spokesman known as “the quote machine”
• Speaking in New York, Deputy Foreign Minister Danny Ayalon says that Israel doesn’t meddle in American politics and makes no distinctions between Republicans and Democrats. [Haaretz]
• Our very own columnist Rachel Shukert tops the Forward list of the six funniest Jewesses on Twitter. Holler! [Forward]
• Steve Sabol, President of NFL Films, has died at 69. [NYT]
• Ehud Barak and Rahm Emanuel met today to discuss (fill in the blank) [Times of Israel]
• Marshall Wittman, who has worked for Senator Joseph Lieberman, Senator John McCain, the Democratic Leadership Council, and the Christian Coalition, has been tapped to be AIPAC’s newest spokesman. [JTA]
Daily rate: $2
Monthly rate: $18
Yearly rate: $180
WAIT, WHY DO I HAVE TO PAY TO COMMENT?
Tablet is committed to bringing you the best, smartest, most enlightening and entertaining reporting and writing on Jewish life, all free of charge. We take pride in our community of readers, and are thrilled that you choose to engage with us in a way that is both thoughtful and thought-provoking. But the Internet, for all of its wonders, poses challenges to civilized and constructive discussion, allowing vocal—and, often, anonymous—minorities to drag it down with invective (and worse). Starting today, then, we are asking people who'd like to post comments on the site to pay a nominal fee—less a paywall than a gesture of your own commitment to the cause of great conversation. All proceeds go to helping us bring you the ambitious journalism that brought you here in the first place.
I NEED TO BE HEARD! BUT I DONT WANT TO PAY.
Readers can still interact with us free of charge via Facebook, Twitter, and our other social media channels, or write to us at email@example.com. Each week, we’ll select the best letters and publish them in a new letters to the editor feature on the Scroll.
We hope this new largely symbolic measure will help us create a more pleasant and cultivated environment for all of our readers, and, as always, we thank you deeply for your support.