Sundown: Dems to Add Jerusalem to Platform
Plus State of Berlin legalizes circumcision
• Following a semi-firestorm, the Democrats will re-insert language about the status of Jerusalem into the party platform. [NBC]
• The State of Berlin declared circumcision to be legal in defiance of a court ruling in Cologne earlier this summer. It is the first of Germany’s sixteen states to do so. [JTA]
• The headline says it all: Philip Roth to Cooperate With New Biographer [NYT]
• In a recent study, Israel received some of the world’s highest marks in innovation and science, but some very low marks in red tape and bureaucracy. [Times of Israel]
• Jacob Silverman tackles the Jewish characters on the hit HBO show “Boardwalk Empire” [Jewcy]
Will the two Jewish Hollywood stars outshine RNC highlight Clint Eastwood?
Daily rate: $2
Monthly rate: $18
Yearly rate: $180
WAIT, WHY DO I HAVE TO PAY TO COMMENT?
Tablet is committed to bringing you the best, smartest, most enlightening and entertaining reporting and writing on Jewish life, all free of charge. We take pride in our community of readers, and are thrilled that you choose to engage with us in a way that is both thoughtful and thought-provoking. But the Internet, for all of its wonders, poses challenges to civilized and constructive discussion, allowing vocal—and, often, anonymous—minorities to drag it down with invective (and worse). Starting today, then, we are asking people who'd like to post comments on the site to pay a nominal fee—less a paywall than a gesture of your own commitment to the cause of great conversation. All proceeds go to helping us bring you the ambitious journalism that brought you here in the first place.
I NEED TO BE HEARD! BUT I DONT WANT TO PAY.
Readers can still interact with us free of charge via Facebook, Twitter, and our other social media channels, or write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Each week, we’ll select the best letters and publish them in a new letters to the editor feature on the Scroll.
We hope this new largely symbolic measure will help us create a more pleasant and cultivated environment for all of our readers, and, as always, we thank you deeply for your support.