Sundown: Leiby Kletzy’s Killer to Plead Guilty
Israeli tennis team dethrones Federer, Swiss.
• Levi Aron, accused perpetrator of the grisly murder of 8-year-old Leiby Kletzy, will plead guilty in the murder case and likely face the rest of his life in prison. [NYDN]
• Jonathan Erlich and Andy Ram, the duo representing the Israeli men in Olympic doubles tennis, came back to stun Roger Federer and Stanislaw Wawrinca, the defending Olympic champions. [JTA]
• Following our story on the 10th anniversary of the Hebrew U. bombing, a reader sent forth his own very personal account of the attack. [Mordechai Rackover]
• Forbes is reporting that Jonah Lehrer is canceling a speech on the topic of ethics that he was due to give at Earlham College in Richmond, Ind. [Forbes]
• Secret’s in the consistency: Aviv Harkov crushes all other baba ghanoushes with her own special recipe. [Jewcy]
• Deena Fuchs, after her fourth child, opines on motherhood and striking a balance. [EJP]
Daily rate: $2
Monthly rate: $18
Yearly rate: $180
WAIT, WHY DO I HAVE TO PAY TO COMMENT?
Tablet is committed to bringing you the best, smartest, most enlightening and entertaining reporting and writing on Jewish life, all free of charge. We take pride in our community of readers, and are thrilled that you choose to engage with us in a way that is both thoughtful and thought-provoking. But the Internet, for all of its wonders, poses challenges to civilized and constructive discussion, allowing vocal—and, often, anonymous—minorities to drag it down with invective (and worse). Starting today, then, we are asking people who'd like to post comments on the site to pay a nominal fee—less a paywall than a gesture of your own commitment to the cause of great conversation. All proceeds go to helping us bring you the ambitious journalism that brought you here in the first place.
I NEED TO BE HEARD! BUT I DONT WANT TO PAY.
Readers can still interact with us free of charge via Facebook, Twitter, and our other social media channels, or write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Each week, we’ll select the best letters and publish them in a new letters to the editor feature on the Scroll.
We hope this new largely symbolic measure will help us create a more pleasant and cultivated environment for all of our readers, and, as always, we thank you deeply for your support.