Daybreak: Colorado Under Fire, Israel Mourns
Plus Larry David and Jerry Seinfeld together again
• A gunman opens fire at the premiere of the new Batman movie in Aurora, Colorado, killing at least 14 and wounding 50. [CNN]
• Israel mourns the victims of the horrific Burgas bombing, including two 28-year-old lifelong friends who were on vacation with their wives and an expectant mother. [Times of Israel]
• Syria’s instability raises concerns for Israel about both the specter of loose chemical weapons and the Golan Heights. [NYT]
• Alex Joffe takes a look at the diverse set winners of the Nobel Peace Prize and shrugs in confusion. [Jewish Ideas Daily]
• Larry David co-stars in the inaugural episode of Jerry Seinfeld’s slightly-funny new web comedy project. [Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee]
Daily rate: $2
Monthly rate: $18
Yearly rate: $180
WAIT, WHY DO I HAVE TO PAY TO COMMENT?
Tablet is committed to bringing you the best, smartest, most enlightening and entertaining reporting and writing on Jewish life, all free of charge. We take pride in our community of readers, and are thrilled that you choose to engage with us in a way that is both thoughtful and thought-provoking. But the Internet, for all of its wonders, poses challenges to civilized and constructive discussion, allowing vocal—and, often, anonymous—minorities to drag it down with invective (and worse). Starting today, then, we are asking people who'd like to post comments on the site to pay a nominal fee—less a paywall than a gesture of your own commitment to the cause of great conversation. All proceeds go to helping us bring you the ambitious journalism that brought you here in the first place.
I NEED TO BE HEARD! BUT I DONT WANT TO PAY.
Readers can still interact with us free of charge via Facebook, Twitter, and our other social media channels, or write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Each week, we’ll select the best letters and publish them in a new letters to the editor feature on the Scroll.
We hope this new largely symbolic measure will help us create a more pleasant and cultivated environment for all of our readers, and, as always, we thank you deeply for your support.