Daybreak: Pollard, African Jews
Plus African Jews may include Gadhafi?
• Hillary Clinton, after affirming that Israel and the United States are on the same page viz. Iran, was unusually blunt in explaining that she has “no expectation” that Israeli spy Jonathan Pollard will be released. [Haaretz]
• A Hebrew University researcher has a study showing that millions of Africans either practice Judaism or consider themselves to be Jewish. [YNet]
• The ever-controversial philanthropist and political bankroller Sheldon Adelson and his wife Miriam have pledged $13 million to reduce Birthright Israel waiting lines. [JTA]
• Gadhafi’s Protocol Chief claims that Gadhafi’s mother was Jewish. Hooray? [Jewish Journal]
• The Hebrew National kerfuffle has yielded some thoughtful writing on the practice of keeping Kosher. [Jewcy]
Daily rate: $2
Monthly rate: $18
Yearly rate: $180
WAIT, WHY DO I HAVE TO PAY TO COMMENT?
Tablet is committed to bringing you the best, smartest, most enlightening and entertaining reporting and writing on Jewish life, all free of charge. We take pride in our community of readers, and are thrilled that you choose to engage with us in a way that is both thoughtful and thought-provoking. But the Internet, for all of its wonders, poses challenges to civilized and constructive discussion, allowing vocal—and, often, anonymous—minorities to drag it down with invective (and worse). Starting today, then, we are asking people who'd like to post comments on the site to pay a nominal fee—less a paywall than a gesture of your own commitment to the cause of great conversation. All proceeds go to helping us bring you the ambitious journalism that brought you here in the first place.
I NEED TO BE HEARD! BUT I DONT WANT TO PAY.
Readers can still interact with us free of charge via Facebook, Twitter, and our other social media channels, or write to us at email@example.com. Each week, we’ll select the best letters and publish them in a new letters to the editor feature on the Scroll.
We hope this new largely symbolic measure will help us create a more pleasant and cultivated environment for all of our readers, and, as always, we thank you deeply for your support.